Cedar Burl?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chef Niloc

Banned
Reaction score
Is cedar Burl as water stable a cedar lumber Is it's self? Looking for good attractive wood for water stone bases, cedar and teak come to mind

Cedar burl is as stable if not more than straight grain. I'd also look at mesquite, as its super stable. I'd also recommend looking at end grain.

The cedar burl I have seen was pretty soft wood.
My opinion would be to use a hard oily wood if you use something that is not stabilized.
If you use stabilized wood then I would say anything goes.

A while ago, Craig Stevens was selling cedar burl pieces for handles on ebay for totally absurd high prices - I was wondering what's up with that. Is that stuff rare? Just confused,

Stefan

Cedar burl is softer wood, Unless its stabilized.. And may not be the best choice for water stones.

As far as the price, etc.. What I have found is I cant find it for sale often.. So it must be fairly rare. And when I have found it.. The price was high even for pieces that are half as figured as Craigs stuff. I have used some of his Stabilized Cedar.. I scored a few blocks of it a couple years ago, B4 everyone went crazy and started bidding the stuff up super high. And its really quite amazing, the grain is woven and the reflective nature of it is amazing.. and the color is unique. :) It makes a beautiful knife handle.

A while ago, Craig Stevens was selling cedar burl pieces for handles on ebay for totally absurd high prices - I was wondering what's up with that. Is that stuff rare? Just confused,

Stefan

The cedar burl Craig had was Yellow Cedar if I remember correctly.
As far as I know it shows up rarely in Western Canada.
The only pieces I have seen were nowhere close to as nice as Craig's.
A flute maker who gets wood from me said that the prices for it are always high. When I asked him about a source, he said he keeps any he can get.

A while back Butch Harner got some cedar burl but his looked more like red cedar.

The only cedar burl I have found around here has way too many bark pockets.

Latest posts

Back