Sometimes I feel like crying when we get this stuff in

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tosho

Reaction score
This once was a beautiful Gyuto forged by Watanabe san.
The owner has burnt the edge while trying to install the new handle and lost the tip somewhere along the road.
Heart breaking
IMG_1805.jpg

:shocked3:

They tried a burn-in for a custom (presumably the pink handle has the internal dowel), why not micro rasps/files and epoxy?

I'll never try a burn-in install.

EDIT
is/was that kintaro-ame steel or just the effects of poor care and the botched install attempt?

I've done several burn in installations on nice knives, never had an issue. this image suggests a lack of common sense perhaps. IMO burn in is FAR SUPERIOR to epoxy mounting.

I've done several burn in installations on nice knives, never had an issue. this image suggests a lack of common sense perhaps. IMO burn in is FAR SUPERIOR to epoxy mounting.

For Ho wood handles, that is absolutely a great way, but for resin-stabilized burl like this, there would have been no way to burn into it.

Yes of course! sorry I forgot about that possibility

Sorry! I accidentally sent this from an old employees account- Sorry Jon, you were signed in automatically again.

How much of the edge got cooked? Temper-affecting heat won't carry far along the edge. If it needed to be done, it would not be impossible to shorten the knife, though the resulting profile could be a personal thing.

How much of the edge got cooked? Temper-affecting heat won't carry far along the edge. If it needed to be done, it would not be impossible to shorten the knife, though the resulting profile could be a personal thing.

I have no idea (metallurgicaly speaking) what is going on inside this knife. Chances are the edge will be softer here due to the reversal of the heat treatment. the bevel of the knife is bright blue for the first 3 cm. It may be possible to sharpen this out over time, but I really don't know how deeply the heat affected the blade.

doh! I often hesitate on selling custom handles to customers for this very reason!

(edit) best for me not to contribute here.

doh! I often hesitate on selling custom handles to customers for this very reason!

Based on the above, you might also hesitate to sell them any knives in the 1st place! :dazed:

I can fix it for you guys, if you need it. Not advertising, but just wantin to help. You know where to find me.

what do you mean 'fix' it? fix the overheated steel? or just aesthetics on the outside? im very curious to find out if this could be fixed beyond the aesthetics.

Sorry, Dave. My mistake. Mind fixing that for me...?

Was this ever rectified?

I'm curious if the owner ever got his knife back.

I'm having trouble getting ahold of tosho for a while now and he has one of mine. His shop is pretty low on stock too. I'm wondering if he is getting out of the game

This is a public website and a custom handle is easily recognizable. I think the customer deserves some more privacy and respect. Sure his diy project didnt work out but i give him points for trying. I wrecked a cellphone once trying to give it a new screen but i still try stuff. And also if the heel got a little softer its not that big a deal. Most knives eventually frown from not enough wear at the heel anyway. Cosmetic fix and the knife will be fine.

Back