Nagao alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoiledbroth

Reaction score
I'm gonna speak in code here. One of our friends just listed 4 Nagao aogami super Chinese cleavers and a couple less exciting knives. Don't miss the new addition directly beneath the Nagao Final Collection listing.. Super cheap zdp-189. Anyway I'll just leave this here... And a whack of new sukenari product! Turns out they sell three kinds of G3 gyuto Dammy forged and stamped...! Cool.

Are the cleavers clad with stainless?

I bought one anyways and then forwarded an email to Koki asking the same question, also asked about other info such as HRC. I'd imagine they'd be similar to the Hiromoto AS (i.e. SS clad). Either way I'll probably keep it regardless as it's such a limited supply and it'll also be my first cleaver

Master Nagao himself wished to keep them as mementos of his career, but ___ succeeded in convincing him to make these last four knives available to our customers.
Kind of heart breaking in a way. My first "real" knife after a jiro was a hiromoto. By the look of the picture I think they are solid carbon no?

I sent him an email aswell but was hoping that someone allready got an answer. I'm really tempted, nice way to try AS steel.

Or maybe that's just a wonky bevel tj :p My last few tenmi jyuraku had a really bad edge set into them, quite uneven. I thought at one point hiromoto was quite well known for their ootb edges, or was that supposed to be heat treat... I dunno.

Anyway, I talk with Koki alot, gotta remember its 6:15am in Japan right now, he's probably not even awake :) Somebody has spent alot of time updating that website in the last week or so.

Or maybe that's just a wonky bevel tj :p My last few tenmi jyuraku had a really bad edge set into them, quite uneven. I thought at one point hiromoto was quite well known for their ootb edges, or was that supposed to be heat treat... I dunno.

Anyway, I talk with Koki alot, gotta remember its 6:15am in Japan right now, he's probably not even awake :) Somebody has spent alot of time updating that website in the last week or so.

It does look a little strange how it reflects the light at the bevel, but farther up is where I'm talking about.

I also correspond(ed) fairly often with Koki, but now that I've been slowing down with procurement not so much. I'll post the reply to my email in this thread.

Tempted for the cleaver and Sukenari ZDP. For what use is that cleaver? What can you do with a Chinese cleaver?
Master Nagao, beautiful damascus, calm and then wavy, wish it was white or blue super

Sorry Hianyiaw, I tried to be as discreet as possible but also wanted someone here to grab one so I can see pics... Luckily for me tjangula is local :)

Tempted for the cleaver and Sukenari ZDP. For what use is that cleaver? What can you do with a Chinese cleaver?
Master Nagao, beautiful damascus, calm and then wavy, wish it was white or blue super
dunno if you noticed but Koki's new Fu Rin Ka Zan ZDP-189 is also made by sukenari company, probably a stamped blade to accommodate the price point but still seems like really good value. Profile looks similar if not identical to my ginsan clad knife from the same company-- great knives.

I bought one anyways and then forwarded an email to Koki asking the same question, also asked about other info such as HRC. I'd imagine they'd be similar to the Hiromoto AS (i.e. SS clad). Either way I'll probably keep it regardless as it's such a limited supply and it'll also be my first cleaver

I'll post the reply to my email in this thread.

Got an email a few min ago from Koki, excerpt is below:

Thank you very much for your new order and confirmation.

Yes. We are holding your Hiromoto Aogami Super Chinese Cleaver for your purchasing. It is night time in Japan, tomorrow we can make your shipment.

It is exactly same blade construction (Aogami Super sandwiched with soft stainless steel) and HRC63 to 64

It is very rare and special order made item from Master Nagao. We are very glad you will be the owner of Nagao Fine Chinese Cleaver.

We will inform you update&Tracking No. when we will make your shipment on tomorrow.

Thank you very much again for your new order and confirmation.

Best Regards

That's the one I meant [emoji75]. About the Sukenari ZDP, the cheap version.
I ordered a cleaver as well, but I haven't received any confirmation mail yet [emoji80]

Not that it's one of the cleavers - or newest of the "last batch" from Master Nagao - but I got one of the SLD honesuki knives that Koki had listed, and I use it a ton, and am pretty damned smitten with it. It's no-nonsense, tough, and takes a great edge. Really, really enjoying it.

I have the honesuki metal bolster, one of my most beautiful knives. I think the cleaver has handle from the same wood

Not that it's one of the cleavers - or newest of the "last batch" from Master Nagao - but I got one of the SLD honesuki knives that Koki had listed, and I use it a ton, and am pretty damned smitten with it. It's no-nonsense, tough, and takes a great edge. Really, really enjoying it.

Is the honesuki double beveled or the usual right only. Curious as your name is lefty afterall

Mine is an asymmetric right-handed bevel with neutral grinds. It works well for me, even as a lefty.

I like my lefty misono Swedish steel honesuki, the Parer I wish I got right handed because I often cut off the board towards myself so the left hand bevel works against me (really like my Miyabi birchwood Parer in this regard)

Back