Kato Alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was quick, wanted the 120mm petty but gone in 5min...

was hoping to gift myself a 240 workhorse for Christmas! oh well.

a 240 gyuto is gonna be the single most sought after knife by any of these guys. good luck w that!

I think I might wind up selling my 240 Kato. Will post about it shortly.

update: just kidding, I don't have any 240s for sale.

update: just kidding, I don't have any 240s for sale.

You are a bad bad man.

I actually saw the email come in and still wasn't fast enough for the guyto or one of the petty's. Got one of the suji's though.

That knife is not made by Kato Kiyoshi.

A certain webstore that is not to be mentioned has Damascus and regular Kato Gyutos in stock. 210 and 240.

A certain webstore that is not to be mentioned has Damascus and regular Kato Gyutos in stock. 210 and 240.

You are on top of it! Decent prices though nothing crazy amazing.

Did someone already snatch up the 240 Damascus or was there not one to start with?

Somebody must have grabbed it because I had a look earlier and there was one in stock. Not really interested myself.

I've heard from someone who bought a standard Kato in Japan that the JNS workhorse version is slightly different than the standard Kato.

You are on top of it! Decent prices though nothing crazy amazing.

Did someone already snatch up the 240 Damascus or was there not one to start with?

He got three of each in. I was lucky and just happened to see the email just as he sent it. I got the second 240 Damascus. They didn't last long at all.

Yeah the JNS Katos are a little taller with a higher tip and more curve in the profile. The regular Katos are more narrow and have flatter profiles.

Are the Damascus knives better because I remember reading somewhere that it's a better knife than the normal ones and he only makes a few a year..

Btw, does this store have a bad rep or something? I know who is it is but I just don't know why

He got three of each in. I was lucky and just happened to see the email just as he sent it. I got the second 240 Damascus. They didn't last long at all.

Congrats!!! Any idea what handle you are going to get on it?

Also that is quite absurd that he got 3 of each, especially the Damascus ones!

I've got a 240 Damascus Kato hopefully arriving end of Jan or early Feb...

kato so popular. i wonder which maker is going to get its next trend-mill.

I had a 240 Damascus in my cart that did not go through. Got a 210. Now for a handle.

I got one of the 240s. There's still one left. If it didn't go through you should try again.

Showing out of stock for me. The Wenge is in stock but not the Damascus.

Oh ok, I was referring to the wenge.

I too would like to know the advantage of a damascus other than decorative value. Is it tougher or does it cut better or have better food release? I know the Shig Kitaeji is supposed to be better than then the Kasumi, but does that also apply to Katos?

I'm looking at the specs between the CKTG and the JNS and they both have the same blade height but the CKTG is 10mm shorter and half an ounce lighter. Don't know if that makes any difference in performance.

What I'm really curious about is the JNS Kikuryu Kato. Is that just a fancy name for a damascus or is it an entirely different better knife? It doesn't seem like that's been available for a long time. Does he still make them?

How many g is 1/2 an Oz? Anyway, chestnut handles are a little heavier.

There was only 1 batch of Kikuryu made

Back