Quantcast
Earthquake in PA - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Earthquake in PA

  1. #11

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    3,279
    Wife felt it in NYC. Said it reminded her of home.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    99Limited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LVW, Manchester, NJ
    Posts
    958
    I was getting ready to get my mail out of my mailbox when the quake happened. The mailbox is on a pedestal and it's a little loose. It was weird watching it giggle like jello yet nobody was touching it.

  3. #13
    not my first one and definitely not the strongest I have felt.
    Felt very weird too hehe.

  4. #14
    Senior Member

    SpikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    3,773
    The nuclear plants had some wake ups!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

  5. #15
    had i not been on the phone wih Deker i woild have never known. here was a chain hanging in the shop n i kinx of giggled like there was a breeze but that was all. i was standing on a concrete floor and never felt it

  6. #16
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,894
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    The nuclear plants had some wake ups!
    Both reactors at the North Anna NPP SCRAMmed and emergency diesel generators are providing power to the cooling systems to prevent a meltdown like Fukushima.

    I'd say that was a wake up.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

  7. #17
    Senior Member ThEoRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    3,035
    I was 30 feet up in the air in a field kitchen built on stilts. Felt the whole thing wobble and thought it was some serious wind. That coulda been ugly.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

  8. #18

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    3,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Both reactors at the North Anna NPP SCRAMmed and emergency diesel generators are providing power to the cooling systems to prevent a meltdown like Fukushima.

    I'd say that was a wake up.
    Let's be fair...those two events aren't even remotely comparable.

    At least US reactors are more closely monitored.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

  9. #19
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,894
    Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Let's be fair...those two events aren't even remotely comparable.

    At least US reactors are more closely monitored.
    I doubt that US reactors are more closely monitored than Japan's, but all the monitoring in the world won't be worth a thing if a meltdown like Fukushima occurs. I expect that if that should happen, the news will be controlled in the US just as it was in Japan to avoid panic.

    The North Anna NPP is designed to withstand a 6.2 magnitude earthquake. Yesterday's was a 5.8. Pretty alarming, if you ask me.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

  10. #20
    The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    1,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I doubt that US reactors are more closely monitored than Japan's, but all the monitoring in the world won't be worth a thing if a meltdown like Fukushima occurs. I expect that if that should happen, the news will be controlled in the US just as it was in Japan to avoid panic.

    The North Anna NPP is designed to withstand a 6.2 magnitude earthquake. Yesterday's was a 5.8. Pretty alarming, if you ask me.
    A 6.2 with the epicenter on the plant itself though, no? Obviously the farther away the less and less powerful the earthquake is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •