Earthquake in PA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Anyone in the mid-Atlantic states feel the Virginia earthquake this afternoon?

We got a 30-45 sec shaking, pictures rocking on the walls and cast iron pans swinging a bit.

First one this guy has ever felt and hope it's the last. That's a west coast thing that they can keep.

[video]http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/slideshow/east-coast-earthquake-14364887[/video]

I had it for 20 seconds here and I thought it was the wind, but the trees weren't swaying. I didn't find out until around an hour later when my wife asked if I felt the earthquake. First one for me as well.

I'm 40 miles from Rich mond (damn filter Dave), the building I was in swayed like there was no tomorrow.

Crazy sh$t... I hope Nothing at your house was damaged. I've never felt one myself, not much fun I imagine.

Felt it pretty good around here. I was at a meeting in a 5-sided building where, uhm, you kinda worry when something shakes the building. :scared4:

I hit a nearby stairwell and got out before the masses. Retrieved my car froma nearby garage and made it back to the house before the massive traffic jam hit. Luckily my wife was telecommuting today, or she probably would not have made it home until the middle of the night.

We had a few things fall in the house, but all the cutting boards, knives, spoons and fish tongs are safe :cool2:

laura almast had a heart attack.....she could barely stand from the shaking....whole house was shakin!!!!!!!!!!!!......ryan

Felt it up here north of the border. I got tasked on digging up more info about the quake at work immediately after - turns out this thing was felt wide and far thanks to (a) the significant magnitude of this for an east-coaster, and (b) the lovely solid bedrock we're sitting on that transmits the vibrations really well.

******** Va was rockin'. Scared the @#$ out of my girlfriend, I was just hoping it wouldn't get ant worse......weird for sure!

I was getting ready to get my mail out of my mailbox when the quake happened. The mailbox is on a pedestal and it's a little loose. It was weird watching it giggle like jello yet nobody was touching it.

not my first one and definitely not the strongest I have felt.
Felt very weird too hehe.

The nuclear plants had some wake ups!

had i not been on the phone wih Deker i woild have never known. here was a chain hanging in the shop n i kinx of giggled like there was a breeze but that was all. i was standing on a concrete floor and never felt it

I was 30 feet up in the air in a field kitchen built on stilts. Felt the whole thing wobble and thought it was some serious wind. That coulda been ugly.

Both reactors at the North Anna NPP SCRAMmed and emergency diesel generators are providing power to the cooling systems to prevent a meltdown like Fukushima.

I'd say that was a wake up.

Let's be fair...those two events aren't even remotely comparable.

At least US reactors are more closely monitored.

Let's be fair...those two events aren't even remotely comparable.

At least US reactors are more closely monitored.

I doubt that US reactors are more closely monitored than Japan's, but all the monitoring in the world won't be worth a thing if a meltdown like Fukushima occurs. I expect that if that should happen, the news will be controlled in the US just as it was in Japan to avoid panic.

The North Anna NPP is designed to withstand a 6.2 magnitude earthquake. Yesterday's was a 5.8. Pretty alarming, if you ask me.

I doubt that US reactors are more closely monitored than Japan's, but all the monitoring in the world won't be worth a thing if a meltdown like Fukushima occurs. I expect that if that should happen, the news will be controlled in the US just as it was in Japan to avoid panic.

The North Anna NPP is designed to withstand a 6.2 magnitude earthquake. Yesterday's was a 5.8. Pretty alarming, if you ask me.

A 6.2 with the epicenter on the plant itself though, no? Obviously the farther away the less and less powerful the earthquake is.

Heh, after more than 50 years in No. California, I long ago I've lost track of the number of quakes I've experienced. The last one, about two years before I moved to Idaho, knocked my mother out of her single bed onto the floor, and emptied every cabinet in my kitchen . Walked onto a floor completely covered with broken glass. my cats were indoor cats, but I didn't see either of them for two days . ;-)

A 6.2 with the epicenter on the plant itself though, no? Obviously the farther away the less and less powerful the earthquake is.

Epicenter was five miles from the NPP.

I'm not crying "the sky is falling", but stuff like this does worry me.

I'm sure the Japanese living near Fukishima thought it was safe.

If they designed it to 6.2, then they used the lateral loads, etc. associated with a 6.2, and then applied factors of safety.

earthquake.jpg

Heck it didn't even get to 8.0... what you all freakin about :p

I long ago stopped feeling anything under a 6.0

Back