Need Good Poly Board Rec.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordanp

Reaction score
Looking for a good Poly board for as a present this Christmas to go with their new knife. Something similar to what they use in the french laundry seen them posted before but wasn't able to find them. Looking for something available in Canada or without a huge cost in shipping thanks!

I recently got some epicurean boards to replace the poly ones I have. I wouldn't want to use as a main board with the super high HRC knives (perhaps others do without issue? The sound when you cut on it scares me), but for raw meats and other rough work with ~60 HRC carbon they beat using a hinoki or BoardSMITH.

I only grabbed the 4 standard sizes as well as the 19.5"x15" with the groove on the one side. The commercial ones appealed to me (bit thicker, more square shape) more but they aren't as easy to get here in Canada.

The standard ones are pretty thin (1/4"?) but seem solid and have NSF certification IIRC. They won't want to stay put so you'll want to put something underneath (as I do when necessary) or else consider the ones with the silicone ends (nah). You could probably find them locally at a kitchenware store (I've also seen at Home Outfitters) but I got most of mine here (along with most of my other kitchen stuff): http://www.williamsfoodequipment.com/brand/epicurean?limit=48

"tj" has a good point for the super high HRC knives &, to be honest, most of mine are the commercial grade but I haven't had any issues with chipping/etc but technique on any board is important with these knife hardnesses we play around with. FWIW only my $0.02 but when compared to Poly ... I would choose an epicurean (although the thin 1/4" ones can warp just as a warning) and they do have some of the "gift" variety in terms of looks ...

I used to have some Epicurean boards and while they are easy to use and to take care off, they are also hard on knife edges. I haven't had the chance(money) to try a hisoft but I can tell you even a cheap end grain board is way more gentle on edges than an Epicurean or poly board. Alternatively you might want to check out Sani-Tuff rubber boards.

I'm a fan of Epicurean when I can't (or don't want to) use a good wooden board. No issues except for the slapping noise. In my experience it's considerably better on edges than cheap poly. A Hi-Soft is on my radar and may be Merry Christmas to Me this year.

Interestingly, Epicurean now sells a wood veneer version of their poly boards. I'd be a bit wary because I'm not sure how well those layers would stay bonded, but might be worth checking out? You get a thicker board and the grain looks alright. Kinda weird from the side though.

http://www.epicureancs.com/woodgrain.php

wlx47l.jpg

iylnwm.jpg

Not sure what they're doing in that top photo :scratchhead:

There's a nice small (40x29x2) hi-soft for home at Korin. Good for that gift. I'm thinking of getting one too.

I have that small size Hisoft board. I like it, it keeps my edges sharp noticably longer. Plus it is very stable and almost sticky on my kitchen top.
What I am still struggling a bit with is the softness (...duh..!). When slicing the knife cuts into the board causing a feeling of friction or drag on the knife which feels a bit weird. Never experienced that with my poly board or wooden board (no end grain). But I am getting used to that now, either that or somehow I am changing my technique without realizing it.

Back