Quantcast
What are Your Game Changing Knives? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are Your Game Changing Knives?

Gyutos:

Tojiro DP 270 First true Japanese gyuto

Hiromoto HC 270. First carbon gyuto I used and wasn't afraid of patina, rust, sharpening scratches. Light, thin laser like.

Yoshikane 240 SKD 11. Awesome knife, first tool steel, semi stainless, that could get really sharp and stay sharp. I wished that I had never sold it (with a Stefan handle no less) trying to chase thinner knives.

Ichimonji Mitsuhide TKC 270. A knife that I always go back to, no matter what other knives I bought, no matter what flavor of the month I was in a kick to buy.

My Tanaka Yanagi is the knife that made me think "holy hell this thing is sharp". My first real knife purchase. I marveled at it for a long time...still do, but for the price they sell them at.

But my Tojiro DP 210 that came with it really changed my whole attitude. I was cutting a snapper with it, and focusing on the fish, not the knife. Next thing I know, I've bent the thing like a fillet knife and there's nothing left on the bones that can be scraped with a spoon. I never would have stressed my knife before that, I had that "quality=probably fragile" mentality. Ever since then, I've beat the hell out of it and it's given me back 100%. Ok 80% but still.

The Rader passaround was surprising for me because I was initially very unimpressed with the knife--I didn't like it at all. But to this day, I think about it at work. It had design qualities that are full of character--nonstandard, but full performance, you just have to learn to drive it first.

Then the most recent: My friend's Henckels International Fine Edge Synergy block. I have never used a knife set and been so ready to find the people who made it and slap them. There is not excuse, in 2011, to be putting out ready-made landfill additive like that. There is nothing to be liked about them, and if robots in a factory can make a car part that fits within a tolerance of .002", or make computer parts in a lab with chemical reactions, they can damn sure put out better knives than that for the same money. Absurd. You pay money, and get NOTHING in return. Poor steel, dim-witted design, uncomfortable, absurd looking, bad edge, uneven/sloppy fit, careless finish, 5 even-more-useless knives in the block. Changed my outlook, for sure.

Back in the day, I used to be the guy that sharpened the big plastic handled house knives on an old oil stone. I bought a Henckels chef and parer somewhere in the nineties. Those were game changers for me. I kept 'em sharp, took 'em home every night. I rounded out the collection with other Henckels and Wusthofs including a slicer, utility, bread, cleaver, etc... I thought they where the shizzle probably until 2000'ish, when a new cook from CIA broke out a MAC. Well, I was impressed to say the least. I quickly replaced my German line up with the MACS.

The MACS opened me tro the world of JKnives, and seeing Salty's collection first-hand really rocketed it to a true compulsion!

I would say my love/ hate relationship with the Takeda is what opened my eyes to what a great knife should be.

Although, I use a gyuto more because of its versatility, I really love sujihikis.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Heiji 150mm petty. Simply, an awesome knife.

Has to be the Takeda 240mm gyuto...Not the prettiest visually, but upon first cut I was amazed at how the blade slid through whatever product I was working with. It is still a go to knife and one that I show to students to demonstrate the benefits of Japanese carbon steel.

First German Knife - dramatically improved quality of cuts.

First Japanese Knife - A Shun Santuko. It was surprisingly light, and amazingly sharp. I probably would have been satisfied with this knife, except it wasn't good at prepping large amounts of veggies.

Ideal Knife - Cleaver. Short knife, with a long flat edge, which makes it suited to small kitchens. The weight of the blade, assists in the cuts. The height of a cleaver, acts an edge guard, makes horizontal cuts easy, and my favorite, a cleaver can clear a board in one pass.

Jay

My first and still favorite, Ichimonji 240mm TKC gyuto (love it so much I just bought a used 270 from bishamon). Recently I purchased a Harner parer from Dave at JKS and I feel the same way about it, a truly amazing knife. I will buy another if I can.

I started cooking with an old, cheap but well-designed Sabatier stainless. My first game-changer was a Glestain 240 mm gyuto. It got me thinking about the curvature of the faces of knives and how then affect cutting. That led to the A-type where, I (like some others here) basically ground my own knife in stages trying to find the holy grail of hamaguri edges. After a year of tinkering with the geometry, I had something that continues to hold its own in my rotation. Then I started in with the thin stuff and the DTITK which are great but I can't say they really changed the game. It changed once more with Heiji and Carter which really operate on the same principles the difference being that the Heiji is thicker and heavier (while still being an incredible cutter).

+1 Carter SFGZ... it's just crazy good... I'm not really particular with looks... And actually for me it doesn't look bad at all and I don't mind the handle also... the important thing here is that... IT CUTS LIKE A DREAM!!!

my suisin inox honyaki... i still love that knife. My favorite knife before that was my blazen.

First game changer for me was my masamoto gyuto.

+ Reply to Thread