Quantcast
What are Your Game Changing Knives? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are Your Game Changing Knives?

Global G2 - largest single knife-to-knife performance increase (from crap I had)
    Takeda AS - keenest/sharpest/thinnest behind the edge I'd seen at the time
    Konosuke - best personal fit ...made me go "oh yeah, this is what I've been waiting for"

I have no game

But I have lots of nice knives that make it look like I do

I think like a couple others have posted also, my biggest change came with my first set of decent German knives. The upgrade from stuff purchased off the wall at Target to my Zwilling 4-Stars was the real "wow, this is sooooo much better" moment. After that my mind quickly switched over to "of course there are nicer things out there" mode.
    - Erik

My biggest change was from semistain/stainless to carbon.

I thought my Tojiro's were sharp. Then I saw this SK5 knife on sale and I figured my sister would enjoy it and I would try the steel. Sharpened it up and I was done. Its only carbon from here on out. I spent hours trying to get a tojiro petty to the same level and I couldn't do it. I retired that petty and got myself a gesshin ino petty (white) and a miroshi deba (blue) and love those thing.

Now my next biggest changer will probably be a carbon gyuto and something longer than 210 (DAVE!!!!). Whenever that ones done I think I will be super happy.

My mom's biggest change has to be the Tojiro petty that got retired. She used it for the first time today and texted me today: "OMG -------/ just used a great knife!!!!!". Then informed me of two things: 1) she now understands the obsession 2) that I have consent to replace more of the knives I own so she can get the left overs.

Now if only my GF would consent. Then life would be a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    my suisin inox honyaki...
    If you can count someone else's knife, this particular one might make my list. You're knife convinced me I needed a laser.

The first gyuto i bought other than Shun was a Nenox S-1. I still use it alot to this day and I have been in love with it since I got it. It just feels right.

Game changer. The next game changer was definitely the Heiji gyuto. Perfection IMO...

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    A big ugly fat-bellied Shun Classic gyuto. A new employee brought it in and added it to the house stable, and one day I found myself using it to do something stupid, like cut a quesadilla. Kinda took me by surprise, like "wait a second here... this isn't like the other knives..." It performed so much better than anything else I'd seen, that I started to bogart it and hide it in my station. Eventually, curiosity got the best of me and I wrote down the model number and went on the internet looking for better stuff.

16 months and a lot of money later, I still bogart the thing and hide it in my station whenever I can't use my personal knives.

Suisin Inox Honyaki Wa gyuto (270 mm) and Bob Kramer 9" chef's knife.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    A big ugly fat-bellied Shun Classic gyuto. A new employee brought it in and added it to the house stable... {snip}...

16 months and a lot of money later, I still bogart the thing and hide it in my station whenever I can't use my personal knives.
    Yeah, 'cause if there's one thing I know about you, it's how much you "love" that big, curvy, exaggerated German profile....

A few steps for me. Decided to get a good knife at age 19 when I moved to do my civil service, and I got a Henckels 23cm chef's knife - some distant relative worked there, and I got a 40% discount. I made use of that for a few more knives and was happy except for the fact that I never got them as sharp as I thought they should be. The next step was when I was cooking with a friend who had just gotten a complete block of Globals for Christmas - quite a difference to the thick German knives. Picked up a few cheaper Japanese knives that weren't all that convincing until I got a Watanabe kuro-uchi nakiri on sale somewhere - that opened the world of custom knives to me (even if the Watanabe was from the standard line). I then had a Hiro AS 240 rehandled by Fish, which spoiled me on the side of esthetics, and around the same time ordered a 285 suji from Murray which was my first full custom knife. Not much looking back after that...

Stefan