Knives & Stones Syousin Chiku Migaki Gyuto by Yu Kurosaki, holiday special edition

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi KKF,

I have just listed a Migaki (polished) version of the Syousin Chiku Gyuto. This is a holiday special edition with a super cool K&S custom handle. I also ease the spine for a more comfortable grip. 240mm ONLY!

I am sure you all heard enough about how great Kurosaki-san's work is, not to mention they come with great value. This special Migaki version is just making everything that TINY bit better :D

Syousin_Chiku_Migaki_by_Kurosaki_240mm_Ebony_handle__12532.1449493844.1280.1280.jpg

Price? You are one click away to find out :)

James, where is balance point?

Sexy I own two of his knives. His work is outstanding. Alas it's Christmas time and I spent the last 3 days at the west Edmonton mall. If theres one left in January I'd be down. I suppose I can hope :( seriously love the custom work you do. Mom got her ginsan and loved it.eons above the kramer essential in terms of apperance and performance.

I saw this posted in Jame's IG last night and nearly soiled myself.

I also think this should spearhead a new thread called "Kurosaki Sightings". This knife popped up the same time a similar thread for Shig was updated, and I thought wow, this is a knife that people should be talking about and chasing. In my mind and experience, Kurosaki outperforms Shig in every way. What my Kurosaki AS gyuto lacks in weight (a bit lighter than a Shig) and hype, it more than makes up for in performance.

Aesthetically I tend to favor a kurouchi finish. Aside from a slight difference in weight, and the different handle, what would be the main differences (performance-related) between this one and the kurouchi version? Hardness seems about the same.

Crap, I just saw the Shig thread after posting the above commit. And of course it's too late to edit.
I was definitely not bashing on Shig. Rather I was comparing one great (but somewhat un-known) knife to another great (and well known) knife. And yes, I'd pit my Kurosaki up against a Shig any day.

The performance should really be the same as the kurochi, just offering different options.

The balance point should is like so:

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1449528275.786386.jpg

Really nice James! Will you be making a 210?

Probably not on this occasion, I don't have enough stock this time around, and I won't be able to continuously supply this type of handle at this price.

I saw this posted in Jame's IG last night and nearly soiled myself.

I also think this should spearhead a new thread called "Kurosaki Sightings". This knife popped up the same time a similar thread for Shig was updated, and I thought wow, this is a knife that people should be talking about and chasing. In my mind and experience, Kurosaki outperforms Shig in every way. What my Kurosaki AS gyuto lacks in weight (a bit lighter than a Shig) and hype, it more than makes up for in performance.

Wow! Blasphemy - you just made yourself persona non grata on an entire continent!! I thought owning a shigefusa kitaeji was a requirement for Australian citizenship.

Not anymore since they practically can't be had 😛. I'm with Marc. Aussie vendor and cheaper 😁

Probably not on this occasion, I don't have enough stock this time around, and I won't be able to continuously supply this type of handle at this price.

But I will be keeping the migaki for sure :)

Crap, I just saw the Shig thread after posting the above commit. And of course it's too late to edit.
I was definitely not bashing on Shig. Rather I was comparing one great (but somewhat un-known) knife to another great (and well known) knife. And yes, I'd pit my Kurosaki up against a Shig any day.

You are going to get me divorced. I managed to justify the 4th Haburn but now I've got to try one of these. My work computer won't let me on knives and stones so maybe they'll be sold out by the time I get home. Oh well, I guess I'll just get her more jewelry to buy my way out of the dog house.

Let me just say I firmly believe that this guy's work should hold a place in every collection. And not just to look at. This knife is performance.

Let me just say I firmly believe that this guy's work should hold a place in every collection. And not just to look at. This knife is performance.

Thank god my wife has imposed a blanket knife purchasing ban on me for the time being... Otherwise i could be broke with the stuff floating around currently. (Though there are a few that i keep dropping solid hints would be a great Xmas present).

Darn it! Couldn't you guys have at least tried to save my marriage (i.e. bought them all before I got home)?? I just had to have one so yet another box with a knife in it on the way lol.

Does this knife come with a saya? Or do you have one for sale that fits? Thanks!

I think James has the option of having a saya made to fit for an additional fee.

Thanks very much KKF. This batch of 9 were gone in less than 24 hrs. Please give me a few days to give them an edge, and I will start sending them out by the weekend.

J.

Thanks very much KKF. This batch of 9 were gone in less than 24 hrs. Please give me a few days to give them an edge, and I will start sending them out by the weekend.

J.

Do you have to book for flying reindeer with red noses?

Tell me that you are offering this in 270 length at some stage James....please ? It was the only reason i didn't pull the trigger this time around !

Tell me that you are offering this in 270 length at some stage James....please ? It was the only reason i didn't pull the trigger this time around !

Yes there will be

Talking about you guys holding back, I didn't manage to keep even one in down under !

I'm looking forward to this knife, it'll me my first blue super. What kind of transit times have you seen in the past to the west coast of the US?

I'm looking forward to this knife, it'll me my first blue super. What kind of transit times have you seen in the past to the west coast of the US?

posted out today via DHL, so you'd expect early next week's delivery. I had a massive fever earlier last week, so things go delayed a bit.

J.

posted out today via DHL, so you'd expect early next week's delivery. I had a massive fever earlier last week, so things go delayed a bit.

J.

Arrived this morning and it looks awesome. Love the handle. If you make one just like it in 270 or 210 count me in. Would be interested in other examples of his work too. DHL has the code cracked on getting things here. Never gets hung up in customs. EMS and CanadaPost both sit around in Los Angeles and New York for at least five days respectively. Got one coming via Postnord so we'll see how that works out.

In any case, I've been wanting another wide bevel gyuto and this one looks really nice. Really sharp edge by the way, thanks James.

Mike

I'm excited to hear your thoughts performance wise. So go chop some stuff!

Back