Fixing heel/choil/ricasso

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
\de-lurk

Hello!

German (generally) kitchen knife sharpening question:

Many German knives swell right at the choil creating a ricasso and finger guard. On previously, poorly, sharpened knives, this area if often taller than most of the knife. If a chef's choice or similar was used, not only is this area taller, but the actual cutting edge just in front is also dull (and taller) as the wheel(s) could never reach.

None of these are my knives, often belonging to co-workers, friends, family. How do you quickly knock metal off that very thick, often hard, area of the knife? Or do you even bother? Again, not mine, but would think it would significantly hurt the functionality as much less of the blade can hit the board. Although... for many of these users that might be a good thing!

I have stones, I have a couple files, and two 10" tabletop grinders. I do NOT have a belt (which seems like the most productive way to reprofile this spot).

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, I did search.... but not very hard.

WL

/re-lurk

Very short answer: as always, it depends. Have a look in the huge archive, and use google's site-function.
The technical terms used here are "recurve belly" for the part of the edge that doesn't touch the board anymore, due to the "fingerguard".
Google
site:kitchenknifeforums.com "search object" AND "search object2"

Latest posts

Back