Petty Recommendation and Questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnmattisson

Reaction score
I'd like to pick up a petty knife, and a bit unsure if I should go for a 120 or 150mm blade. I currently have a 180mm Nakiri that I use for veggies, and then a 210mm gyuto for all-purpose. I think I'd use the petty mostly for fruits, garlic, and some delicate veggie cutting. Would it make more sense to use a 150mm petty alongside a parer? Or just use a 120mm?

On to the knife itself - what are some recommendations?
- Right handed
- Japanese style handle
- Prefer carbon edge and stainless clad/kuruochi finish
- Ferrule can't be plastic
- Have stones and basic sharpening skills, but don't want anything extremely difficult to sharpen
- Under $150

Thanks in advance!

What country are you in? US East Coast Philly

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in: Petty 120 or 150mm
Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 120 or 150mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no): No, but prefer rust resistant or stainless clad /kurouchi finish

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $150

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) - Cutting fruits, bread, delicate work with vegetables, possibly some use by wife.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? - None

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) - Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) - chop, rock, push

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) - Something for more delicate smaller sized work. Use my gyuto for most things.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? - Aesthetics matter to me, although function over form.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? - Not sure, ok with light or heavy, needs to look good and be comfortable.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes (wood and synthetic)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) - Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.

My answer on blade is 150 or 180. I prefer the 180 but no smaller than 150, esp if it will be your only (for the time being) Petty.

I like stainless because I use a petty on citrus, onion, tomato among others. Stainless good.

A solid, no-frills, stainless Petty should run about $1/mm. Gesshin Ginga, Tadasuna INOX will come in at that price point. Gesshin Uraku a little cheaper. Don't think you'll find stainless clad in that range.

Good luck.

I know you said you really hate plastic ferrules and prefer carbon but i think the Tanaka VG-10 petty is worth checking out. It's about $50 and with the extra left over cash you can easily get it handled with a nicer ferrule. The one I have is super thin. Only needs a few laps on a stone to get just as sharp as my white steel petty. Also its one of the easier blades to sharpen.

Maksim at Japanesenaturalstones sells itinomonn stainles 150 mm WA petty for 134€, but for people outside Eu its 107€. I just got that knife. Will test it tomorrow, I can share my thoughts about it if you are interested?

I have the Itinomonn and it's a great knife. Gets insanely sharp and has fantastic edge retension. Not as thin behind the edge as my Shig, but it cuts surprisingly well. It has made me consider buying a stainless gyuto [emoji33]

Thanks all, appreciate the recommendations. I'll look over these in the coming day or two and make a decision. F Flash, would appreciate it if you let us know how you get on with the ittinomonn.

Friend of mine just bought that Itinomonn (the package arrived yesterday) - his first impressions on F&F are very positive. If I did not have an SLD Yoshikane and would not want to spend too much (I did on the Yoshikane as it was for my loving wife), That Itinomonn would have been high on my list. If not that I would probably give Gesshin Ginga a try.

Back