Carter or Haburn? And other musings ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like so many here, I've entered a dark space some time ago when I started being interested in high end kitchen knives.

And as many of you know, it doesn't take long to go from what's readily available at $200 or less to wait lists/custom/rare at $$$ you would've never thought of spending on knives, let alone ONE. You know, those precious moments when your better half looks at you like you just slaughtered a puppy in front of her.

2015 for me was the year this all went downhill. Shipping to the office, "secret" credit card and a lot of creativity for coming up with reasons to buy yet another knife.

I did not buy anything during Epic Edges sale this year, didn't (maybe foolishly) take advantage of Maxims 20% ... but I ordered knives from or paid deposits for:

Marko/Tilman/Robin/Mert and Bloodroot....!

Robin is coming this year, the rest further down the road (or much further in case of Bloodroot).

Anyhow, very long story short: There's room for one more next year IF I sell a couple of knives (just started with the Takeda Bunka I never used).

Two options only:

Haburn (I fell in love with the Bunka he recently posted in the latest work section - want something similar with a simpler handle, so if any of you bought that one, please PM me or post feedback here... I would LOVE to hear from you!)

Carter Funayuki (No explanation, I just want one ... LOL)

Ramble away ... :spiteful:

Get both. Support an amazing up and comer, in Ian. Get proven incredible performance from Carter.

I have never had a Haburn. I have bought/sold a good amount of knives and there is only one that I have regretted letting go it was a Carter. I have a list of knives on my profile that I had or have to give you a idea of what I am saying.

Get both. Support an amazing up and comer, in Ian. Get proven incredible performance from Carter.

Or this :lol2: Also I would add Cris Anderson to that list if he is still taking orders. His stuff looks incredible.

I've got four Haburns and love them. I had two carters and they are great performers (I sold the 330mm Funayuki - Yes, some things can be too big) but the fit and finish is more rustic. I'd vote one of the Haburns and fwiw, I like his performance grind a lot. The big plus is his fit and finish is perfect, there is nothing else to do. I ended up polishing out my carter and putting a kasumi(ish) finish on it which made it much more presentable but with the Haburn that isn't necessary. If you can get one of his Damascus knives don't hesitate, they are the bomb.

Confused by the 'or'; pretty sure it should be an 'and'. Better check your autocorrect settings!

Might be better to ask for advice on how you can fund both. How about taking a side job in one of the NYC KKF chefs' kitchen until you can pull together an extra $700? :D

If that is not an option, I would get on the list for an Ian in 2016, and keep your eyes open for a secondhand Carter partway through 2016 (when you no longer feel that you can only swing one knife for the entire year)

Haha Ok David. How is that Carter I regret selling to you?

It's doing well, but definitely underutilized. I recently added another knife block so at least it now lives on the counter and catches my eye more often. If you really have a bad case of regret please let me know.

Now that is not an easy choice. The 210 Haburn from the Pass-around was a really well performing knife. I have 170mm Carter kurouchi funayuki and got it recently thinned by greg - that thing just falls through hard veggies. I would say it comes down to whether you are looking for a knife with certain performance & design or for an another addition to a collection. Carter and Haburn have both quite a different styles.

Confused by the 'or'; pretty sure it should be an 'and'. Better check your autocorrect settings!

Might be better to ask for advice on how you can fund both. How about taking a side job in one of the NYC KKF chefs' kitchen until you can pull together an extra $700? :D

If that is not an option, I would get on the list for an Ian in 2016, and keep your eyes open for a secondhand Carter partway through 2016 (when you no longer feel that you can only swing one knife for the entire year)

Hmmm... the money is not an issue, it's me trying to be reasonable and not spend thousands of dollars on knives in one year. I mean, what would be left for 2017????

On a sidenote: I am not sure I could make any kind of serious money in a pro kitchen ...

I like your idea though, Haburn first, a 2nd hand carter whenever that opportunity presents itself. I will have the "that opportunity doesn't come along often" excuse in that case ;)

Now that is not an easy choice. The 210 Haburn from the Pass-around was a really well performing knife. I have 170mm Carter kurouchi funayuki and got it recently thinned by greg - that thing just falls through hard veggies. I would say it comes down to whether you are looking for a knife with certain performance & design or for an another addition to a collection. Carter and Haburn have both quite a different styles.

both ;)

a bit off track but which line of Carter is better Muteki or Stainless Fukugo-zai?

Muteki is the lowest fukugo is an upgrade, on to the original thread, put a deposit on a haburn, it's a harder to come by knife, I can go on carters site right now and pick one of =/- one hundred knives, not including muteki or his other none kitchen knives. I go to Haburns site, last I checked he had one not sold, the carter will have classic japanese methods behind it and that's about it, the Haburn will allow for customization, allowing you to make the perfect beast, sorry for the little rant, but I would grab a Haburn then in a month or twos time when you are going to buy another knife... and you will, look at carter, trust me they will be there, they always are. Plus Ian makes honyaki's with green westren handles... need I say anymore.

Thanks for the heads up... the description on the Carter website is very misleading for the Muteki line.. the way they described it make you think its like the top of the line stuff made by Murray

Murray is big into promotion....everything is top of the line. Don't get me wrong, I like the one I have (high grade funiyuki) and the performance is awesome but for the price of the new stuff that has the "upgraded" handle I'd expect something less rustic. I polished mine out and then used some finger stones to give it a pseudo kasumi finish and then it looks a lot better.

Murray's knives are unmistakeable Murray's knives. I like the rustic nature, because it makes a $500-750 knife seem like it was actually made to be used. I'll admit, I'm not crazy about his current prices, however.

Also, the Muteki line seems like a pretty good option for most. Shamus - Murray's main man/apprentice - makes a great knife, and truthfully should be off on his own, making his own knives. I'm assuming Murray pays him very well to stick around.

I like my two Carter HG funayukis notwithstanding our "falling out". There's a bit more to the story and many here probably know it but I'll leave it out of the conversation.

EDIT

here they are: 275 and 160
2CA5E46C-B2A8-4767-BCA6-96B2A439D48B_zpsdwy5tiwv.jpg

I would like to have some rehandles done by Stefan at some point as I agree that the "upgraded" handles add too much to the cost and aren't always to my taste.

I like my two Carter HG funayukis notwithstanding our "falling out". There's a bit more to the story and many here probably know it but I'll leave it out of the conversation.

EDIT

here they are: 275 and 160
2CA5E46C-B2A8-4767-BCA6-96B2A439D48B_zpsdwy5tiwv.jpg

I would like to have some rehandles done by Stefan at some point as I agree that the "upgraded" handles add too much to the cost and aren't always to my taste.

275...nice. The only knife I've ever had that I was always feeling it was too big was a 330mm funayuki....kept seeing that crocodile dundee scene every time I touched it.

Yeah, his handles are not all that, especially for what he charges nowadays. My wife loves the 180 funayuki I have and I like it because I don't have to worry if it gets left around for a bit without wiping....it's a real laser and his white steel gets blazing sharp really easy.

I like my Carters, but I think Ian has been following more interesting paths in the last year or so.

Catchside is a glaring omission from your list. Or do you have one already?

+1 on the new Haburn, used Carter approach.

Catchside is a glaring omission from your list. Or do you have one already?

+1 on the new Haburn, used Carter approach.

I think my list has a lot of omissions, but then again: I've only been at this for about 2 years. I need room to grow, no?

Maybe I should have a 5 year master plan for knife purchases [emoji23][emoji85]

And of course you should check out Andy Billipp. I do not his exact waiting times - prbably between 1 and 2 years.

But if I were you I would not conentrate only on custom or semi/custom knives and also add a few nice Japanese made knives in the mix to have something to compare to.

And of course you should check out Andy Billipp. I do not his exact waiting times - prbably between 1 and 2 years.

But if I were you I would not conentrate only on custom or semi/custom knives and also add a few nice Japanese made knives in the mix to have something to compare to.

Maybe I can add Andy Billipp to my 2017 list ... ;)

I do have a handful of Japanese knives, from Watanabe, TF, Ashi Hamono, Yoshikane, Tanaka, Masakage, Shibata. No Shiq (tried, didn't like it that much) and no Kato (probably a bit of an overkill for home use) though ... not sure what other major maker I am missing for now ;)

Might start selling some though. The more you get into "this", the more you realize what you like and what you don't like.

Update: I sent wifey a pic of a recent Haburn Bunka with the "Western Action" Hamon, or whatever the pattern is called (W2 steel)... and SHE LOVED IT. She didn't even ask "how much", she just said to book the next available spot with Ian ...

Man, I love her (even more now) ;)

Back