Chef's Choice Trizor 10" extra wide

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got mine from Cutlery and More on their current site wise 20% off super sale at $80 (and remember Zwilling Kramer's are included).

I just used it once (and not to open crab legs like Mucho) but so far I'm really impressed: it's an amazing price for a monosteel knife that is basically a yo deba at 60+HRC and made from an insanely tough tool steel. Not a delacite knife though

Their sale continues :)

I can't find any information about this knife using tool steel... can anyone help? Also curious to see the spine shot. I'm assuming the "extra wide" means thicker at the spine??

Think big heavy Western type knife minus the bolster that extends to the heel. Not sure of the steel, but likely stainless. I was looking at this brand after reading Chad Ward's book a few years ago, but headed down the Japanese knife rabbit hole instead.

They try to keep the steel secret but there's this

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-some-detective-work-What-is-quot-Trizor-quot

Also the carbon content is supposed to be super-high, if it really has >+2% or so carbon and 14% chromium that is definitely an interesting steel (HAP72??)

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelchart.php?snm=

Also this from a cached copy of their web site:

8. What is the composition of the metal alloy used in Chef'sChoice cutlery?
The specific formula of the steel alloy used in Chef'sChoice cutlery is proprietary. However, it contains much higher levels of carbon and stainless alloys than the popular European or domestic brands. It is important to understand that the alloy itself is only part of the reason for the outstanding performance of Chef'sChoice knives. EdgeCraft research scientists have also developed special aerospace metallurgical processing and forging technologies that, with the alloy's unique composition, produce a knife of incredible strength, toughness and durability.

Someone also posted that to lower the angle from 20 to 15 took hours of grinding....

I'll post a spine shot later today

Think big heavy Western type knife minus the bolster that extends to the heel. Not sure of the steel, but likely stainless. I was looking at this brand after reading Chad Ward's book a few years ago, but headed down the Japanese knife rabbit hole instead.

Messermeister? (in Chad's book)

This Chef's Choice knife is interesting

Messermeister? (in Chad's book)

This Chef's Choice knife is interesting
Pretty sure he mentions the chefs choice too doesn't he? I just passed that book onto a friend recently because it was a bit "fluffy" for me...

Someone also posted that to lower the angle from 20 to 15 took hours of grinding....

I'll post a spine shot later today

Did yours look like it came with a wire edge? This is definitely a sharpening project. I wonder what stones to use.

8932116f-4a8d-4311-ae8d-62d45e3d3a63_300.jpg

OK, it weighs 357gms (A comparable Tojiro Yo deba weighs are 440gms apparently)

and here are some shots (I'm not great at taking pictures with my phone so apologies!

IMG_20151210_114854.jpg

IMG_20151210_115030.jpg

IMG_20151210_115022.jpg

IMG_20151210_115047.jpg

In terms of sharpening, while the cinder block is an idea :), I think it if I decide to bring the angle down, I'm thinking atomas + Jon's diamond set

Gic, I've had this knife for at least 15 years. When I stared Private Cheffing, it was my first real knife. Before I learned freehand, I was a Edge Pro devotee. I used their crappy low grit stones to change the symmetry. I ground mine more like 20/80. Its still pretty thick behind the edge but is robust enough to hack through crustacean shell without deforming the blade at all. Its not a fun steel to sharpen, but when you do get those bevels to line up, it will keep that edge for a long time. I also eased the spine which was a "female dog" too.

OK, it weighs 357gms (A comparable Tojiro Yo deba weighs are 440gms apparently)

and here are some shots (I'm not great at taking pictures with my phone so apologies!

View attachment 29963

View attachment 29965

View attachment 29964

View attachment 29966

wow that actually kind of looks nice. The spine is almost identical kind of taper on my old old old henckel 4 star. Tip may be a bit thicker (trizor), and obviously the height on the chefs choice is way way more attractive. Thanks for posting!! Also I think I read on the chefs choice website that the steel is sourced in USA, so its probably one of the american ones and not HAP 72 or anything like that.

So I found a post by Chad Ward where he says the steel is basically 154CM but that doesn't seem consistent with their saying it is super high carbon content

well compared to X50CRMOV15 it does have over 200 percent more carbon at 1.05% (154CM)

Latest posts

Back