Gonbei Hammered Damascus alternative

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonestter

Reaction score
Hi guys - first post, hope you can help...

After a long time trying to decide I found the Gonbei Sweedish stainless (240) wa-gyuto

JKI sell these, as I'm sure you know, but have been out of stock for some time

Any other alternative I can look at

Doesn't have to be sweedish SS, or stainless even

Or, is it just worth waiting for them to come back in stock?

Cheers

I have that knife and it is quite nice, take it with me for travel which is great. Ordered it with a saya which is nice to have. I'd call Jon and see when they'll be getting them back because he mentioned earlier this week that he had a bunch of large shipments coming in and they may be on there.

Thanks, but would like a wa handle

Also, although I did say I'm not too fussy on metal, I don't want VG-10. Should have mentioned that, apologies

I have that knife and it is quite nice, take it with me for travel which is great. Ordered it with a saya which is nice to have. I'd call Jon and see when they'll be getting them back because he mentioned earlier this week that he had a bunch of large shipments coming in and they may be on there.

That's great feedback, thanks. Will do

EE has hammered finish Yokishane that are well regarded. I recall them being quite a bit higher than the Gonbei.

EE has hammered finish Yokishane that are well regarded. I recall them being quite a bit higher than the Gonbei.

Looks nice, and the 'higher' blade is something I like. However, from the pic, the profile looks like it has quite a flat section - very 'French' almost Sabatier

The steel in the Gonbei is good. JKI is a full on octagon wa handle. I may be wrong but think the Sakai Takayuki and the Gonbei are the same maker. Some have stamped Kanji, the Gonbei has no kanji. Both have the wide machi and look very similar. I have the 240 Gonbei nice blade.

Thanks for the feedback

I'll look forward to it when more stock comes available

One thing (and not an important one for me) does the finish help with food release in your opinion?

Helps a little bit, but the grind has more effect than hammered finish for food release

Back