Naive, Newbe Q on blade profile

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonestter

Reaction score
How would this Harner profile be best described (top knife in pic)?

And - are there knives of a similar profile, but without the price tag??

dsc03555sm.jpg

I would say that is a tall gyuto.

Takeda is known for making tall knives (around $400). What's your budget, it will help us make recommendations?
VdNqxZl.jpg

Thanks bkultra

I've looked at the Takeda a few times, but it looks like a heavy tank of a carbon blade (probably completely wrong on that)

I guess I could say what I'm after is a Z Kramer blade profile - the 'Chef's' profile. Would it be fair to say that is also a tall gyuto? The tip is Wusthof high is it?

So, something like the 'Euro Essential':

This one sells for 199 euros

There's the Damascus one for 300+ euro but I wouldn't spend that on a damascus clad

Bob-Kramer-EuroEssential-japonski-noz-kucharza-Gyuto.jpg

Here's another beauty

kit-french-style.jpg

It appears you are indeed looking for a tall chefs knife (height at the heel). The last two knives you posted have more of a German profile (more belly / less flat). Typically knives with a German profile will have a higher tip because of this. Do you rock chop or push/pull cut?

Edit: the Takeda is carbon but is far from being a "tank". I do hear his more recent grinds are "less than desirable". But I have limited experience with them (I have only used one with the old grind)

Look up Sabatier chef knife and Wusthof Ikon chef knife... Which do you prefer? The first (French profile) is more what you will find in a Japanese gyuto. The second (German profile) is the more common western chefs knife.

Modern French have the tip a bit higher than the old ones. Old Germans have the tip lower than today's Wüsthof. In general, Japanese tips are the same as old French or lower. Has all to do with users' size! I'm a short guy and a modern German tip is perfectly unusable to me. I should add that rock-choppers prefer higher tips and that a high tip is more critical with a relatively short blade.

Modern French have the tip a bit higher than the old ones. Old Germans have the tip lower than today's Wüsthof. In general, Japanese tips are the same as old French or lower. Has all to do with users' size! I'm a short guy and a modern German tip is perfectly unusable to me. I should add that rock-choppers prefer higher tips and that a high tip is more critical with a relatively short blade.

Absolutely Brilliant, thankyou

Why not just get the ZKramer Essential? It's a great knife.

Look up Sabatier chef knife and Wusthof Ikon chef knife... Which do you prefer? The first (French profile) is more what you will find in a Japanese gyuto. The second (German profile) is the more common western chefs knife.

I owned a Wusthof Classic for a while and sold it on as I found it too heavy and didn't like the profile

I also own a Robert Welch Signature 10" Chef's which initially I liked a lot, but after getting into J-knives don't use at all as that too has a super curved profile with a big belly and tip so high you have to get into all manner positions for tip work :)

A friend owns a Sabatier (a 6" ?) and I find that has no knuckle clearance forcing you work off the edge of the board and you cannot use a pinch grip

I push and pull, chop and mix in some rocking too as I like cabbage and corriander which rock on :)

One more thing - what is the FC61 steel of the Essential? Is it stainless? The carbon Kramer looks different altogether to me. Is this the better one to get? (I don't mind the maintenance)

Pretty certain FC61 is AEB-L (also known as 13C26), a very fine-grained stainless steel. Carbon vs. stainless is personal preference, but the Essential performs very well. If you don't mind the carbon, then if the price increase is worth it for you, then get it.

I'm going to go for the Essential (10")

Hoping pinch grip over there should be pretty good :)

I have the Essential 10". It's comfortable in a pinch grip, though honestly I slightly prefer the Meiji 10" for pinch grip.

How is the Meiji different grip wise?

Is that knife damascus only?

For that money, couldn't you go custom, or certainly for a tin bit more?

The D-handle and the Western handle feel pretty different though both are comfortable. The Meiji is a bit lighter, and the handle encourages a more forward pinch grip, and feels a little more secure in the hand to me with the D ridge, but your taste and grip may differ than mine.

Back