Time to consolidate some pics...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
Wow, in addition to spending a lot of time around these parts, it's rather obvious from the number of posts that I've had here over a few years that I talk too much:lol2:

Anyway, figured it would be a good time to maybe document some of the knives I've owned over the last few years...and a few that are still around.

I'll start with a pic of my favorite knife when it was new:

20131121_160142n_zps96bd9611.jpg

Handle as new:

handle_zpsd905304d.jpg

With a few of it's friends at the time:

PC010757_zps20460467.jpg

Hmmmmm.... go on

Well it sure won't be as interesting as yours...

You going to have a special folder for the "stainless" collection???

Yes, I'm up to two stainless knives...about all I know to do with them is to take pics...they don't react right when I cut with them:)

So, I guess I'll stay in Europe for my second knife...this is by far the nicest knife I've ever bought...didn't quite fit what I was looking for, but really like Will's work and it won't be my last.

If it's not quite obvious yet, my photography skills need a bit of work and by the end of this thread I'll likely be looking at a camera and maybe a lesson or two on what to do with it.

This is a 210mm.

Cheers

P1010140_zps9f9251c2.jpg

P1010080_zps63869b1e.jpg

If it's not quite obvious yet, my photography skills need a bit of work and by the end of this thread I'll likely be looking at a camera and maybe a lesson or two on what to do with it.

g[/IMG]

Whatever you do, don't buy a Canon!

It's the Shun of Cameras [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Can you hear that? It's your board begging for oil.

Yeah, kind of sad looking mahogany...been buttered a few times since...likely due again.

Figured I'd post a few that got a away that I likely shouldn't have sold.

First up was the first good knife I sold, in fact I missed it so much that I've since replaced it with another--Kochi V2

P9080530.jpg

P8020494.jpg

This one I've tried to replace without success...I've used other 240's and even a 210...should have never sold my first 240 Shig gyuto:

P1290676_zps7661450f.jpg

Nothing crazy about this choil shot, but it was the best cutter I've owned to date.

shigchoil_zpsa2be4af2.jpg

This is another one I feel a bit of remorse about unloading...a really great knife, awesome steel and just a nice balance between thin and enough beef to do the job. Sweet profile and almost nicer kanji...

Singatirin V2 honyaki:

singatirinprofile_zps87b04b20.jpg

P7030558_zps6cde59c4.jpg

P7030565_zps7a27c514.jpg

I keep waiting for one of these to show up on bst

That singatrin looks way different then the one that Jacob sent out in the passaround a few years back. Might just be the angle but that one looks much more akin to a KS profile-wise. I remember really liking Jacob's, and almost picked one up when Maxim had them on sale awhile back.

you are not the only one who noticed the KS profile in that photo evidently. :)

It was almost identical in size to a KS...Knife was 250mm x 46mm and 174grams...again, really wish I had held onto this one. The geometry was better imo than the KS that I owned.

My one stab at finding a use for a full size suji...didn't so much find my love for it...cheapo steel, overpriced knife...did take a nice patina:).

Kikuichi 270 slicer:

DSC_9779.jpg

DSC_9781.jpg

I have the same suji, not great but a good beater as it's durable and doesn't flex. Sure is a pita to thin though.

Yeah, monosteel knives are some of my favorites, but ideally if it is mono then it should come from the maker thin enough that you don't have a lot of work to do...you can tell by my wide ass bevels how thick that knife was and that was after some thinning. Here's one that you recommended--I don't have a lot of pics of it because I didn't keep it for very long. I totally understand why people love these knives but this one just didn't cut the way I wanted and was going through too many knives at the time to deal with it:O. A Takeda is something every knife knut should own at some point because it is truly one of the few unique knives on the market...thin but hefty and really a beast...should be great knife for a pro that knows how/doesn't mind putting in the work. Alongside my (monosteel) KS of the same time period. Only thing I truly hated about the Takeda was the damn glue blob on the handle. :biggrin: Once again, the mahogany is in some need of lubrication.:laugh:

P8170722_zps8040bda7.jpg

I STILL need to try out a KS 240. I've tried a 270, and I've tried some clones (the Sakai I really liked), but never the real 240...

didn't even know you tried one, only one miss though right? haha i totally know your taste in knives now. you would have enjoyed kochi migaki's grind. moved on cause i didn't like the steel. grind/profile i can fix to a point, steel can't do anything about!

I STILL need to try out a KS 240. I've tried a 270, and I've tried some clones (the Sakai I really liked), but never the real 240...

I would highly recommend trying a 240...length (~251) just seems right for the profile. Mine from Rakuten needed a bit of work, I believe I will buy another at a point from Korin. I've tried similar profiles but really can tell that the KS hits a sweet spot. Mine was ~47 at the heel when I sold it and for whatever reason the low height didn't bother me with this knife and I generally look for 52+ on a new knife.

didn't even know you tried one, only one miss though right? haha i totally know your taste in knives now. you would have enjoyed kochi migaki's grind. moved on cause i didn't like the steel. grind/profile i can fix to a point, steel can't do anything about!

Yep, your only miss on recommendations for me...and still was a very good knife. You more than made up for it with the call on the Watanabe:)

I would highly recommend trying a 240...length (~251) just seems right for the profile. Mine from Rakuten needed a bit of work, I believe I will buy another at a point from Korin. I've tried similar profiles but really can tell that the KS hits a sweet spot. Mine was ~47 at the heel when I sold it and for whatever reason the low height didn't bother me with this knife and I generally look for 52+ on a new knife.

20140517_143830_zpss1b0ecly.jpg

Yep, your only miss on recommendations for me...and still was a very good knife. You more than made up for it with the call on the Watanabe:) I probably would like the Migaki, but I'm so hooked on the V2 kurouchi that I can't see how anything from that maker could be better.:viking:

This was my recent Kato...240...great knife but lost out in competition with the Watanabe so it hit the b/s/t. This knife had one of the nicest feeling chestnut handles I've used--nicest was my first Kochi.

20150122_233344_zps0mwmh9ek.jpg

20150122_233518_zpsxqtbiurg.jpg

20150125_234851_zpsodycgtq8.jpg

and after the heel fix...

20150125_234601_zpse2ks82uq.jpg

A few cleavers...the middle one is the model for my next custom.

PA180739_zpsec1dd42d.jpg

Some ODC...the top one is gone, but the Sab remains. 14", 12" and 10" chef's knives.

newdirtycarbon_zpsa4063d93.jpg

I use an Olympus guy myself but am due for an update. Thinking either another Olympus or trying a Nikon. My only experience with Canon was not so great but I had a rather cheap model...couldn't seem to get accurate color.

I use an Olympus guy myself but am due for an update. Thinking either another Olympus or trying a Nikon. My only experience with Canon was not so great but I had a rather cheap model...couldn't seem to get accurate color.

See? Why risk it (again)? LOL

Seriously though, if you want to get bang for your buck, you can get an almost pro level DSLR with the Nikon D7100 or even the predecessor D7000 is still amazing (not much difference between the two, and the D7000 is often offered at amazing prices since the introduction of the D7100

Back