Back to Square One

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
It has been 5 years since I started dabbling in a knife-making. It has been a long and uneven ride, with many ups and downs, as I tried many geometries and profiles, steels, handle design, accessories design, etc. Some things were hits, some were misses, but in retrospect, I can say all of them were fun!))

I started making knives in Masamoto derived profile with a convex geometry. Those early ones were well received, and I haven't seen any of them popping for sale in a second hand market. One of my early knives was reviewed by Darkhoek and I think the review is still around on his blog.

I decided to go back to the original geometry and profile. I ground one gyuto yesterday, brought it home and made a dinner using it, and I think it's pretty close in performance and feel to ones I made 5 years ago))). I will grind a slightly thinner version of the same knife, compare the two and make a video of the performance on a variety of produce.

This geometry and profile will be a base for my ready-made Pro-Line knives. The knives in this line will be priced competitively, and will offer an excellent "bang for the buck" value in terms of performance, longevity, fun using them, etc.

The X-mas sets will be in the same geometry.

Thanks

This is the profile

IMG_20151213_154022012[1].jpg

PS: this might be a little premature, but I want to spill the beans and let folks in Down Under know that the Pro-Line will be available in Australia, through a partnership with my long time collaborator, and also a knife nut.

Excited for these! Out of curiosity will these come in 52100 and AEB-L or other steels?

One of these with a plain ho handle would make my day.

Cant wait to see your proline available in Aus Marko

And the profile looks great.

These will be in 52100, AEB-L, A2, and other steels. It's really about a profile and geometry.
I can offer these with or without handles, should folks want commission custom a handle form elsewhere.

I just really liked how the knife cut and

I'm pretty excited about this, when do you think they will begin to show up?

I am in Sydney. Can't wait to get it. Lol any Damascus one?

These will be in 52100, AEB-L, A2, and other steels. It's really about a profile and geometry.
I can offer these with or without handles, should folks want commission custom a handle form elsewhere.

I just really liked how the knife cut and

Wow, I might need to order another knife from you right away... Knife blank 52100, I have a certain handle in mind [emoji12][emoji85]

Without handles, in a 2-3 days, marked, polished and sharpened, just missing a handle. Could probably reuse the ho wood handles.

If ordered without a handle, it's $100 less.

Marko

I am in Sydney. Can't wait to get it. Lol any Damascus one?

I am going to make an announcement shortly, but folks in Australia will be able to purchase my ready-made knives locally. We are still working out the profiles, handles, handle material, so the first batch is going to be a try on, but later on we will streamline things. As long as the geometry stays convex, I can produce knives in any steel, including damascus.

Really cool. Once you release the knife in Australia!!! Just give a post!!!! Lol

+1 on possibility of Damascus? =D

I will consider it if there is a market for it.

I am going to price monosteel knives at $1.65/mm on the edge. The actual length will be 5mm longer than advertised length, for future tip repairs))

I already stated that I will offer these without handles as well, should you guys want to source a custom handle from elsewhere, or use a stock Japanese Wa handle. Burnt chestnut handles woudl work great on these. The price of the knife will be reduced by $100.

So a Wa 240mm gyuto (245mm on the edge) without a handle will cost $296 plus shipping (US ~$7.50, international ~$27-35)

Australian customers will be able to get these from my Down Under partner.

Types I am considering:

gyuto - 210-255 mm
nakiri - 165-180 mm
petty - 150-180 mm
paring 65-90 mm
suji - 225-285 mm
boning (wa) - 135-160 mm

All of these knives will be conex ground. Video of the performance of the geometry, within a couple of days.

Please suggest what you would like to see cut in the video.

PS:
I have been using the knife I ground for a second day straight, love it. I think a slighter thinner version of it would be even better. So far cut potatoes, onions, apples, carrots, cooked proteins. Today will carve steak. So far, the knife has excelled at every task.

Since you are going back to this profile if you would like to use my honyaki for comparison let me know. You are welcome to use the knife in your own kitchen for as long as needed.

Since you are going back to this profile if you would like to use my honyaki for comparison let me know. You are welcome to use the knife in your own kitchen for as long as needed.

My profile never was a 1:1 Masamoto profile, as I liked a little more curve near the tip. Geometry-wise my is full convex, from spine down, while Masamotos (KS at least) are partially flat and partially convex.

Maybe I should send you one of my blades to compare them with your honyaki side by side? Have another natural koa handle)))

Marko

I would love to use one, but the xmas season has taken away my hobby money. Also doesn't help I left my job to be a stay at home dad.

Responded to email))

255mm gyuto in action (pics). So far, very happy about the performance, geometry and HT.

image8.jpg

Any chance for 220mm to 230mm western handle Gyuto. Lol cause I just find the size is perfect for me.

Any chance for 220mm to 230mm western handle Gyuto. Lol cause I just find the size is perfect for me.

Not before Christmas, but I will send 2-3 western to Australia as a part of a first shipment of 225mm gyutos.

Curious if this grind is just for your ready mades, or are you giving up on the s grinds ?

Just for ready-made. The logo for these will have a Pro-Line on them, to differentiate them from my other knives.

S grind and asymmetric will only be available for custom orders. I will put for sale a few that I already made, but going forward, I will only produce convex ground knives for for ready-made.

Butchering knives will also be marked as Pro-Line

M

I know you're going to make a video of these pro-line knives cutting. But if you had to describe in words the differences you perceive in the performance between a pro-line knife and an otherwise equivalent knife of yours that's S- or asymmetric- ground, what would those differences be?

S grind separates food better. I also find S grind perform better on root vegetables.

Convex initiates cuts very well and perform well on just about any food. Food separation is slightly hehind S grind, but not by much.

Back