Reassignment surgery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbflat

Reaction score
So can anyone point me to people that are doing Yo> Wa handle conversions?

I have a couple of knives that are feeling like they were born Wa but for some strange reason are Yo... My friends, Hiromoto "Hiro-Shiro's" in 240 and 270 are the handle confused pair I'm referring too. Being the progressive guy I am, I'm in full support of there personal handle identity have decided to let them go forward with handle identity reassignment surgery. This was no small decision. We waited 5 years just to be sure and we are all feeling like its the right decision and the right time.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction for this kind of surgery would be most appreciated.

Please, no judgment.

Bill.

:s Martell and Karl who is hattorichop in the vendor list both do them. Or at least Karl was open to the idea when I broached it. Karl makes beautiful handles, works with Tosho sometimes.

So can anyone point me to people that are doing Yo> Wa handle conversions?

I have a couple of knives that are feeling like they were born Wa but for some strange reason are Yo... My friends, Hiromoto "Hiro-Shiro's" in 240 and 270 are the handle confused pair I'm referring too. Being the progressive guy I am, I'm in full support of there personal handle identity have decided to let them go forward with handle identity reassignment surgery. This was no small decision. We waited 5 years just to be sure and we are all feeling like its the right decision and the right time.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction for this kind of surgery would be most appreciated.

Please, no judgment.

Bill.

Lol, excellent humorous post!

I guess if you consider a Yo handle male then you need to send them to hattorichop.

I have a couple western handled knives with welded integral bolsters. A true wa conversion would likely require grinding them off to expose the tang.

I'm doing western rehandles with Dave and if it can be done without breaking the bank, going to hidden tang and more of a wa shape than traditional western. I guess it'll be a two-spirited knife?

I thought dave did a hiromoto as rehandle recently with the tang left on

If you were ok with having the bolster left on it would cut down on the amount of work involved, it might look a little Shun like, but with some nice burl it would be nice and unique.

If you were ok with having the bolster left on it would cut down on the amount of work involved, it might look a little Shun like, but with some nice burl it would be nice and unique.

Kinda like the Takamura Hana:
A1CA2E80-2DD3-4546-90A5-7FA63A62ED5B_zpsyegsx55k.jpg

The bolster on his hiromoto is more like a Kumadori if I'm not mistaken... I think he's talking about rehandling the vintage one.

You can see here how the bolster is just held on with a rivet. The handle rattles and buzzes when I set it down. It should be an easy reassignment.

Back