japanese knife imports sold out???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fewlio

Reaction score
Seems Most things sold out. Are they going out of business? anyone know?

Between their going on their holiday break, their recent mention in Bon Appetit, and the Christmas rush, they have more in stock than I'd expect on 12/14. Jon mentioned a goodly sized shipment was due in after the holidays. They're not going out of business.

The Teruyasu Fujiwara website shows the same. Everything pretty much sold out. Maybe there's some truth to the supply shortage of core steels :O

No, Jon is not going out of business, and that's a silly question to ask. What you are seeing is simply supply and demand, and the demand for the knives Jon carries far exceeds the ability of his suppliers to produce them.

Another thing to keep in mind is Jon and Maksim both keep product info for basically everything they've ever sold. For example the JNS website probably reads as 90% sold out at any given time.

Jon also can get behind quite a bit in keeping the web site up-to-date with the new knives, especially during really busy periods. That's why I think it's best to call or email.

I think they were swamped with email earlier too. Maybe call, but only if it's really important ! Probably lots of calls coming in too.

What difference in cutting ability, if any, between the Migaki, Kurouchi, and Kurouchi stainless clad?

What difference in cutting ability, if any, between the Migaki, Kurouchi, and Kurouchi stainless clad?

Cutting ability probably very little if the core steel is the same. Maybe some difference is food release properties.

Well, the measurements and weight between the three are all different. Korouchi is the thickest of them all. The stainless clad is slightly thinner and lighter and narrower than all three.

Korouchi also sold out first but I'm not sure how many they had.

Bloody hell. I wanted the carbon Kurouchi so bad. Less than one hour between the email notification's arrival to their being all gone. I did get a stainless clad version, but it still hurts. I blame society.

holiday rush... increased demand... that pretty much sums it up... we're doing our best, but its been really busy lately.

also, phone calls are faster than e-mails with us right now

And, in my haste to make sure I got one of the Kochis, I apparently also accidentally pulled the trigger on a Gesshin 2000 stone I'd idly left in my shopping cart from an earlier visit. It's a good thing I can cook, otherwise I don't think my wife would keep me.

Any thoughts about the secret core steel? anyone do a metal test on one?

From a previous thread
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/2562-Kochi-Knives-JKI?highlight=kochi
"The Kurouchi knives are Takefu V2 steel and the migaki (polished) ones are Blue #2"

Edit: stainless clad is another steel altogether

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...s-Clad-Carbon/page2?highlight=kochi+stainless

Bloody hell. I wanted the carbon Kurouchi so bad. Less than one hour between the email notification's arrival to their being all gone. I did get a stainless clad version, but it still hurts. I blame society.

Why Kurouchi over stainless clad Kurouchi?

Why Kurouchi over stainless clad Kurouchi?

Purely for my own aesthetic enjoyment. I like carbon steel and the ritual of taking care of carbons and reactive steel/iron. No real reason as far as actual performance is concerned.

No, Jon is not going out of business, and that's a silly question to ask. What you are seeing is simply supply and demand, and the demand for the knives Jon carries far exceeds the ability of his suppliers to produce them.

+1

Disproves any notion that "there's no such thing ..."

Last edited:
Despite buying a lot of Victorinox knives to get my collection started, I do have aspirations to own some beautiful/functional knives.
The guys on slickdeals.net recommended victorinox so that's what I got! How are these for the money? I got free shipping and no sales tax.
~Vnox serrated x 3, ($40), Vnox chef x 3, ($80)

Read more. Type less. I really don't want to sound like a dick but you are sounding like the guy talking about lite beer in a room of single malt drinkers.

There's a wealth of information on here, and most are happy to share. Slickdeals?

[/LEFT][/LEFT]

Read more. Type less. I really don't want to sound like a dick but you are sounding like the guy talking about lite beer in a room of single malt drinkers.

There's a wealth of information on here, and most are happy to share. Slickdeals?

Uh dude? I got a wusthof 9" carbon steel chefs knife and a blue steel nakiri forged by and infused with tosa craftsmen spirits!, in addition to enjoying my victorinox blades. Please, spare me the sarcasm and elitism. It's wasted on me because I do not care about those things.

Why? Let's say someone purchases the knife and spends the money for testing. There is also potential for damaging the knife if a sample of steel needs to be removed for testing.

The lab provides the results and you know the percentage of metals forming the alloy.

What are you hoping to gain with the information?

Back