Announcement for 2016 and A Catcheside Christmas Sparkles WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
A festive WIP for you, and a fun one because I have no idea how its going to look, its freeform man, Im going off off piste, smoke me a kipper.....I may be some time.

This could be for a customer, a very patient one who we have not managed to decide exactly what he would like yet....so this could be his:D See how it turns out. You know who you are :)

Working process and availability for 2016
This also brings me to a brief synopsis and demonstration of how I am going to work and sell my high end pieces in 2016. Basically Im not taking commissions. I'm going to make it up as I go along, document the work and it will find a customer as I go. This makes everything more exciting to me, it puts it back into a direct live interaction with the Public on the Forum and work that is actually live and available. Having tried the very long waiting list thing, I will try it this way instead.:)

The super high end damascus stuff does not suit everyone, nor should it. Rarely but occasionally you see someone who has missed the point with this type of work, so feel it best to clarify one more time should there be no doubt.

I use my best grind and best steels or so close you would not notice in my everyday knives. If you buy a Catcheside Mono or San mai, you get the very best of my knowledge and accumulated experience in Grind, heat treatment, the feel of the knife the way it handles, everything related to performance in that knife. Its Just not as pretty to look at, this high end damascus stuff is just because we can, for the art of doing it and because I am fortunate enough to have found a Market for this purely extravagant line of work and I mean extravagant in time which of course makes them costly. No bubbles here :D its all worked out on an hourly workshop rate.

So San mai and mono's will be made weekly for direct sale and i will continue to strive for performance and consistency in these.

Please interact and comment on my WIP posts, its so important for feedback and energy, if you think it stinks say so, please don't put us makers on a pedestal, Its lonely, I love to hear good things and compliments buts its really important to get pure honest critique without fear of upsetting or ruining anything. Fear be gone and that is from me as well, I think a constant weight of commitments has kind of worn me into a slightly guilty silence on here but Im nearly caught up, I have some loose ends and some unfulfilled promises still and will be able to finally get all these tied up ;)

So thats my brief rant bit and really quite important news on how my work will now be available.

To sum up, no commissions, no waiting lists, everything will be live and direct. The high end stuff will be an interactive blog and san mai and mono's will be made weekly. All News and availabilities will be made Here and via my mailing list.

I would like to hear any thoughts on this, I realise that its important for some to choose custom details and I will likely still offer custom handle options on some finished blades as I get into a rhythm .....but don't think I am closing myself off from feedback, it just makes direct feedback more important. I want to make enough stock to do as many Shows as possible next year and that means Live interaction and examples to actually try.
Shows
These will at the Gatherings........Blade Show.......and Gembeux in Belgium for a start in 2016 and introduce some more U.S. based ones the following year. Any suggestions welcome...

don't be worried about butting into the WIP with thoughts on anything Ive written here, I just felt like putting it all in one as a case in point, I realise now it could get a bit confusing but ultimately I can put stuff into something properly worded in a proper announcement thread here on my website and on via my newsletter for 2016, in the mean time I look forward to feedback opinions and comment on all the above and we can have the WIP as a kind of light entertainment to all the above.

In the mean time let the Damazacasamza commence!

Like this very much. Gives everyone an equal shot at your work. Downside is funding these off-the-cuff purchases. I love to squirrel away some cash for purchases whenever possible, but for truly top notch high-end work, it will be tough to move knives and gather funds quickly enough! That speaks more to my financial limits than to your model, however. I am sure quite a few of us will be following closely with paypal accounts pre-loaded for quick clicking when you post something new and drool worthy.

I see your point there. But I think I can often be a little flexible as I find some rhythm for it. Say for example I can make a batch of damascus once a month, (alongside my weekly mono's and san mai). Enough damascus for say 3 knives, One I can make and offer it for sale outright handle and all. The other could be offered as semi custom, i.e. custom handle, a few subtle profile tweaks, keeping some damascus in reserve for the occasional whoops I broke your blade! or show pieces to take on the road.
A big part of it for me with the damascus is I have found a certain damascus end product lends itself to a certain blade shape, or idea. This and if you want to experiment and develop new-ish patterns it becomes impossible to offer a fixed menu. But I can see scope within this for saying I have this blade profiled in this pattern, here is a finished blade of what the material looks like, I'm open to custom/ semi custom order from the this whatever blank with a few minor profile tweaks and custom handle. That means payment could at least be split into two. As long as I could work that in with no accumulated waiting list.

Here is the light entertainment part of the post...... Maybe I should have done two post but oh well, lets make it work could be fun or unique at least:D

We start a rather strange shaped bar. I have been fiddling with it a while, it is a micro basket weave, which I forged into some special shaped fullered dies before grinding parts to develop the pattern in different ways when forged out. I also have a simple high layer laminate 1000 ish layers for the edge, and another bar of basket weave from a different perspective...... Im forging all these materials down as accurately as possible to 10mm square bars.

With all the bars forged out I can start to lay them out to get the lengths and work out which will be twisted which way.

Next everything gets cleaned in acid, before twisting as tight and even as can be.:viking:

What would be really nice is for the GBP to take it on the chin vs the USD.....Say about 1.25 GBP per USD...THAT would be awesome lol.

Well if you don't ask..... other than move to the states,,, Cant do much about that, (I hate the weather here but that might be a bit of an extreme move)maybe I could move to a tax haven for knife makers, or start one, lol
One thing this might open up for me is the possibility of doing batches of certain things, like group buys at a reduced rate to get more people in at an entry level.
Will have to see how my time plays out on that though.

What would be really nice is for the GBP to take it on the chin vs the USD.....Say about 1.25 GBP per USD...THAT would be awesome lol.

How about you move down to sunny old aus before whinging about that 😜

Almost every knife i am interested has riseb in price by 20-30% for us aussies over the past 12-18 months.

I like the sound of a group buy. I have never gotten a chance to try one of your blades.

I think it is a great move Will. Frees you up to make what you want to make. Some people may have to adjust in how they purchase. But ultimately it is how we buy most expensive things. Save the money and wait/find its availibility.

Though i would throw at the idea of at least offering handle upgrades for those that can't afford one of your top knives but want a little extra blong on their monosteel or san mai

Thanks you Sir.
Great idea that, certainly doable on handle upgrades.

Yeah, I also like the idea a lot. It allows you to make what you want. And even though it's a different purchase model, it gives everybody great insight in what there is. And I like WIPs anyways. I'd say: do. (And moving to a tax haven... Well... luckily I live in the EU.) I must say I also like the idea on handle upgrades.

Good ideas, Will! Please move ahead.

I think this is a great idea...looking forward to it!

I like the idea of making what you want, when you want it. I'm pretty sure you will find the market for your knives. You can always tweak things as you find interests shift toward different types of knives.
I very much like the idea of having some choice in the handles--makes the whole experience more personal, and I think gives the buyer a more personal connection with both the maker and finished knife.

Hey Will - If you see the need, desire or opportunity please feel free to make some stainless varieties as well ... I know you have in the past but it is certainly something I am looking for ... just saying (eh begging?) ... love me some CPM3v or other crucible yumminess :wink: ... also like many others have said already I am looking forward to trying one of your fine wares in the (not to distant) future!

Thanks all for the comments and hints :) Lol......Niolox is the next one I want to try stainless wise when the time arrises to give it a proper run of ht testing. I already have some 3v, so can try it alongside that for comparison.

Thanks all for the comments and hints :) Lol......Niolox is the next one I want to try stainless wise when the time arrises to give it a proper run of ht testing. I already have some 3v, so can try it alongside that for comparison.

Niolox seems to be out of favor with a lot of makers, curious to see what you think about it and do with it. I'm waiting for Tilman to finish my 240 in Niolox and heard great things about that one. I think @chinacats is a big fan...

Niolox seems to be out of favor with a lot of makers, curious to see what you think about it and do with it. I'm waiting for Tilman to finish my 240 in Niolox and heard great things about that one. I think @chinacats is a big fan...

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I'm actually a big fan of 1.2442 (I got from Tilman that Will has been using as well), I think it is fantastic steel. As to Niolox, I would've tried it (from Tilman at the time) but I'm mainly a carbon guy:)

Cheers

Thats my main issue is finding a stainless I like as much as something like carbon 1.2442. You can get the hard stainlesses but horrible to sharpen. But then it is a compromise. Anyway I'll leave that for another thread when I get to some more testing :)

Haha, I've got one of your ladder sanmai knives that I really like.....looked up just in time to see my helpful bride about to take a scotchbrite pad to it in a fit of cleaning :bigeek:

Luckily disaster averted. Love your work...gotta score one of the cool damascus knives this coming year.

Some progress on the Nakiri!
Close up on the bars making up the composite after a long soak in acid to remove all the scale, kind of deep etches the work too.

Surface of the top bars look very wood grained at the moment you can see where the ground fullers weave the pattern.

For the top of the spine using a basket weave from the usual aspect, this will look more random than the end perspective basket weave I think,

Here the ends of the bars revel the work in the material, this is the bars that appear wood grain on the faces.

This is 900 layer double carbon for the edge, can nearly see the flow of the layers.... but you can see it.

So to the twisting....

Heres where I ran into a few issues, and it reminded me of a conversation I had with Owen once about twisting nickel mosaic damascus, the crux is it doesn't like it very much ;) Twisting is about the harshest thing you can do to damascus, guaranteed layers will slip, they have to, but in a flat laminate as long as you work carefully and hot the slipped layers re-weld as you work. However in mosaic you have layers going all over the place and its very hard to feel when a layer sheering will become an issue. Forgetting all this I took the first bar just a little too far and with no warning sheered it! Doh

Pressing on its best to keep track of the bar numbers and twist directions as you go....

Sheered bar is fortunately the top bar with the basket weave on the surface, I have a feeling it will be very random in form so will chance a repair, will be interesting to see if this shows up or not in the end result!

No further issues with the other bars but hot and a little at a time was the way forward and I didn't take the twists as tight as with flat layered damascus, it just doesn't take as much, but I think this pattern will work well a bit more open.

This will be welded up at the end when I flatten the bars for assembly.

All the bars done, flatted one side only as I want to leave the twist texture on the edges and grind it off after welding, should make the diamonds and shapes in the twists a bit sharper I think.

Before that lot goes into the acid for an overnight pickle the bolster parts can come out and assembled for welding.

Looks exciting, Hope it works, I have an inkling what the pattern on the blade will look like, but I could be completely underwhelmed...its all part of the mystery!

Have a great weekend folks:)

Exciting times today :) Anything that gets you in work on a Saturday with a head full of cold must be considered FUN!

So to the welding......First stacking all the pieces.....Im leaving all the untwisted ends in place, makes more sense to trim after. Im Fluxing so no need to grind everything, the lateral twist grooves will help the flux run out clear as the parts become closely acquainted.

Fluxed up and ready to rock!

I spend a long time welding by hand on the anvil, It just works better to slowly bring everything together driving out the flux through all the parts before a good forging on the power hammer.

So I spend a long careful time welding these, about 3 runs up and down both sides braking each run into 2 heats all by hand, then a couple of runs under the hammer, no work on the sides as of yet.

Now for the bolster, the parts are pretty wonky and there are still twist marks in there etc, so consolidation must be gentle! You could say its best to gently persuade the pieces together.

Came together a treat, I know this material will look good as its all the cores of twisted bars around the outside, therefore it will be forged nice and close to the bolster size in the end.... Currently a 30mm bar :)

Thats all for today folks :)

Really curious to see how this damascus looks on the finished blade!

Me too Mike! although I took a sneaky peak of an end cut off section today and its looking good!

Here is the last couple of days progress......

Ha ha I decided to turn it into a blunt bread knife:)

Only kidding, after taking a peak at the pattern on an end cutoff I decided two things, that there was not enough edge material and that the pattern on the edge will just be too fine/grey looking to go with the bling and madness of the twisted basket weave. Therefore I decided to use a very ancient saxon bordering technique, like rounded dog teeth, wavey......interlocking sections to broaden up the double high carbon material on the edge and up the stakes even further on the complexity of the piece!

Quick dirty etch on the cut end......

All ready to weld again....

Here is the quick etch of the slice, and the first time I have seen the side aspect of this as the basket weave exposes and disappears in the twists, looks very promising thus far!!!

very interesting thread Will. I did wonder if you would pursue this direction as it was a big topic of conversation at our last visit to your workshop. The basket weave / twisting looks amazing (and I have a pretty good inkling of just how much work is involved in this). My very best wishes for 2016. Adrian

Thanks Adrian, yes I started playing with one of these pieces when you and Gary were here, so its been a long time in making pieces here and there ;) Thanks mate

Back