Came Across this randomly, Henckels international VG-10's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllanP

Reaction score
Apparently this set is exclusive to Canadian Tire which is a Canadian hardware/tools/everything store.

This set was onsale for 399.99 CDN, and then today I checked it went back to 1.2k CDN for the set.

i don't know what to think, from the video and picture the steel is the same "Damascus" clad vg-10 Shun uses, and the handle is Pakka wood like Shun classics. Oh and they are made in CHINA.

Just thought it was interesting because I couldn't find any information on this particular set anywhere online except for the Canadian tire page.
I find it really strange that they went through the effort of getting vg-10 steel and then only brand it as Henckles International and then manufacture it in China, and then not market it at all except for one store in Canada, and then charge over 1200.00 dollars for them. Just bizzare.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/h...us-knife-set-13-pc-1428800p.html#.VnOrLPkrLIU

Not sure what's wrong with China. Vg 10 billets are manufactured there. iPhones too.

They're showing at $399 for me. I'm kind of upset that they're Canadian exclusives, if they were in the UK for that price I'd definitely buy a set.

Nothing wrong with made in China. I'd assume that them being made in China just means that there's much more work done by hand than on the German made knives of the same price range.

They're showing at $399 for me. I'm kind of upset that they're Canadian exclusives, if they were in the UK for that price I'd definitely buy a set.

Nothing wrong with made in China. I'd assume that them being made in China just means that there's much more work done by hand than on the German made knives of the same price range.

I'm going to check out the knives today because I'm genuinely curious. I'd assume they are made in China because it cuts cost. They do have a manufacturing plant in Japan right where they make Zwillig Kramer knives

Vg 10 is produced in Japan but can be bought cheaply from a Chinese steel company too. Some Vg 10 is produced in Japan to be sure, i didn't want to give the impression that's it's not a "Japanese" steel.

There are two Canadian Tire stores within a 10-15min drive from me, I may stop in and have a look. I'm not really interested personally, but some neat steak knives would be nice

For the longest time VG-10 knives were not made outside of Japan, but in the past few years there have been some, like Zhen (seller Rader8888 on Ebay) which are made in Taiwan, and I guess now these.

I'm going to check out the knives today because I'm genuinely curious. I'd assume they are made in China because it cuts cost. They do have a manufacturing plant in Japan right where they make Zwillig Kramer knives

looking at Henckels International and thinking of J. A. Henckels AG?

GjYjLvGErsggg.gif

Back