Knife Storage

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am keen to learn how people best store their knives? It seems like wrapping them is most common practice but I would really want to show them off. What's the best way?

What are peoples thoughts?

Many thanks,
Adam

So, as a soon to be father I would be quite curious what would be the options if you´d rather avoid putting your knives up on the bar freely accessible ?

Cool, that of course seems to be one reasonable solution! :)

Hi Everyone,

I am keen to learn how people best store their knives? It seems like wrapping them is most common practice but I would really want to show them off. What's the best way?

What are peoples thoughts?

Many thanks,
Adam

I had this magnetic easel custom made by a Canadian craftsman:
76FA4C38-BA3F-4C7C-94D9-074278010D7C_zpscmrp31di.jpg

I personally use Japanese wooden knife stand, it looks something like this:

I also have one of these but it only holds three. I plan to use it for my Shigefusa Kurouchi petty, Kasumi sujihiki, and Kitaeji gyuto once I get my custom handles made

This one off ebay. Not as fancy or pretty, but it has a special feature... it can mount magnetically to the fridge, no screws required. If you want, you can mount it to the wall with screws.

BCxnpNJ.jpg

Only real room I have is on either side of my hood, works pretty good. They are firmly attached with screws now...no more disasters.

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

No chipping for me. Just make sure to place it on the spine and then rotate it over.

The biggest problem with these magnetic solutions is cleavers. They just take up so much space and stick to 3 different pairs of magnets. I'm making a custom block that just holds cleavers

Mike, I'm sure you know that's a terrible place for knives with wooden handles. More importantly you can't see those beauty's. You're going to have to do better [emoji121]

Preachin' to the choir. I'm going to get some of those magnetic boards like Tanner has if shipping from the great frozen north doesn't kill me too bad. Luckily all the knives have stabilized wood except for the River Jump petty...Once I have a reasonable set of those then they are going to get rehandled. All my Shigs, Carter, and Kato are enroute cosmetic surgery clinics for rehandling. Been getting lucky on snagging nice wood lately so I'll have plenty of choices for future knives.

Mike, I'm sure you know that's a terrible place for knives with wooden handles. More importantly you can't see those beauty's. You're going to have to do better [emoji121]

Plus, you just inspired me! I think I have a spot for a mag holder if she who must be obeyed agrees!

The people with very thin but super strong magnet boards. Doesn't that cause chipping on your knife edge? The constant smacking in the same spot.

It can be slightly interesting when sharpening if the knife becomes slightly magnetized....the filings can make interesting patterns on the stone.

This one off ebay. Not as fancy or pretty, but it has a special feature... it can mount magnetically to the fridge, no screws required. If you want, you can mount it to the wall with screws.

BCxnpNJ.jpg

This is perfect! About the only accessible place left in my Kitchen! Would you happen to know the seller on eBay?

BCxnpNJ.jpg

How secure is it magnetically mounted to the fridge? Great idea but the idea of slamming the fridge door a bit too hard and having knives fall towards my bare feet in the middle of the night scares the **** out of me.

Preachin' to the choir. I'm going to get some of those magnetic boards like Tanner has if shipping from the great frozen north doesn't kill me too bad. Luckily all the knives have stabilized wood except for the River Jump petty...Once I have a reasonable set of those then they are going to get rehandled. All my Shigs, Carter, and Kato are enroute cosmetic surgery clinics for rehandling. Been getting lucky on snagging nice wood lately so I'll have plenty of choices for future knives.
I weighed mine and found a box that'd fit it (i just picked it up from him as its a 5 min drive). It'd cost $70-75 CAD for shipping (+$2.20/$100 for insurance) by expedited parcel (similar to priority mail). Mine is 24" wide and 18" high with base. The difference in price is based on whether or not you ship with a CP shipping account as I have setup

How secure is it magnetically mounted to the fridge? Great idea but the idea of slamming the fridge door a bit too hard and having knives fall towards my bare feet in the middle of the night scares the **** out of me.

lol thanks for the daily laugh right there!!! LOL!!

So, as a soon to be father I would be quite curious what would be the options if you´d rather avoid putting your knives up on the bar freely accessible ?

anyone else in the same scenario? I'll only have max 4 knives in the kitchen though...

saya and then into a drawer? if you've only got a few you might even be able to lay them flat. or else if you've got people who don't like to listen you can get lockable knife cases from various vendors. or a cheap polyester knife roll and store them in your bedroom.

... electronic safe ...

saya and then into a drawer? if you've only got a few you might even be able to lay them flat. or else if you've got people who don't like to listen you can get lockable knife cases from various vendors. or a cheap polyester knife roll and store them in your bedroom.

... electronic safe ...

lol perhaps i'll have to find an upper cupboard then lol.

I found this magnetic knife holder on Esty called Wake The Tree
IMG_0104.jpg
View attachment 30229
Nice guy, easy to work with and you can get them in any length. I like the fact that the blade only touches the wood

Back