My first Chef (Gyuto)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pashok

Reaction score
Hi all,
I post here few time ago to get feedback about knife that i want.
Some time past from then and now its out of stock http://japanesechefsknife.com/TenmiJyurakuSeries.html#AogamiSuper
I will very appreciate if you can suggest me some Gyuto to buy Prefer 240mm.
Thanks.
I saw that the stainless i better than carbon and need less care.
What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
Chef

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
Not Replacing just buying new one / First one

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics-not so important
Edge Quality/Retention-not so sure about it
Ease of Use-not so sure about it
Comfort-not so sure about it

What grip do you use?
Pinch Grip

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
Slicing

Where do you store them?
Drawer

Have you ever oiled a handle?
No

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
Will use bamboo

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
Rod

Have they ever been sharpened?
Yes

What is your budget?
140$-170$ including shipping to Israel

What do you cook and how often?
2-3 times in a week / vegetables, meat, Not fish

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
Shipping to Israel

in the same steel Aogami super my choice would be : http://www.knivesandstones.com/syou...-aogami-super-stainless-cladding-by-kurosaki/ I have the 270 suji and its an awesome knife, Marc one of the members here can attest to what a great knife this is.

also there is this : http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...uchi-240mm-stainless-clad-blue-super-wa-gyuto

but sold out at the moment.

The website not to be named bought out the last of the Hiromotos, but seem to not to have any left? they have another option as well

Haven't heard much about those benuser great recommendatiom

yeah... not sure why this is here, but hopefully we can get it moved to a more visible area on the site that might work better for the purposes of this thread

Thanks for the quick reply, sorry dont know how i post it here, can you please suggest me where is the best place for this?
Thasnks

Nothing bad about it, but VG-10 is bit tricky when it comes to sharpening, or more exactly to deburring it. Requires a very careful abrasion of the burr on a progression of finer stones. Forget daily maintenance with a fine ceramic rod
With VG-10 you will be almost sure to create a wire-edge, a burr type that will blunt your edge most effectively within a few cuts.

Nothing bad about it, but VG-10 is bit tricky when it comes to sharpening, or more exactly to deburring it. Requires a very careful abrasion of the burr on a progression of finer stones. Forget daily maintenance with a fine ceramic rod
With VG-10 you will be almost sure to create a wire-edge, a burr type that will blunt your edge most effectively within a few cuts.

So i guess the DI-4 in http://japanesechefsknife.com/SPECIALS.html#Specials will be the best choice for me?!
What about sharpening? how often should i should sharp it? (Based on regular home use Veg/Meat)

Hard to say. Has all to do with your board -- bamboo is rather harsh on edges -- but above all your technique. People used to blunt knives use a lot of force, and blunt ANY blade. If you're willing to use or learn the lightest touch a thin knife with a conservative edge it can hold very well a few months in a Western home cuisine.

You should learn how to sharpen! It is not too hard my friend. Also you should see Kagayaki Carbonext. Like carbon, but without reactivity. Easy to sharpen, great for a beginner to learn with. I would recommend the 240 as the 210 is most like a slicer than a chef knife. I would not recommend Extra Sharpness, I bought a carbonext (supposedly one of the worst Kagayaki OOTB edges) without ES that shaved hair and looked like a great edge to me. I think Koki has smoothed out some of the issues with Carbonext you might read about.

I do like Hiromoto's stainless, but it's rather soft. If you don't really need it to be fully stainless, have a look at the alternatives.

Finally i did that :)
I ordered the DI-4,
Thank you all for the help, will update you once it arrived.
Thank you

Back