Dalman knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttermilk

Reaction score
dalman_buttermilk.jpg

I'm proud to announce that I am now the exclusive U.S. stockist for Dalman knives. I've been so excited to watch Robin's work, and I've been super impressed with how his knives perform and feel. All available Dalman knives will be listed here. Each knife will be slightly different and will be listed individually on the site. There's just one listed now, but there will be more posted soon! A little bit about Robin's work:

Living and working in Stockholm, Sweden, Robin is producing some of the most excitingly-different and high-performing knives I've seen in years. His knives have, for me, re-defined my definition of a laser.

Dalman knives are ground with a very pronounced S-grind and an extremely thin tip. The S-grind on a Dalman produces a blade that is both lightweight and strong, as well as producing great food-release. The entire blade is thin, agile, and just plows through food. The knives feel beautifully balanced and nimble. The tip, though? The last few inches of the blade are half the thickness of a penny. Serious razor-like cutting, and this is due also to the steel and treatment.

Following both scientific and non-scientific research, Robin settled on utilizing AEB-L: a Swedish steel developed originally for razors. The blades are heat-treated in vacuum furnace and later cryo-treated. The result is a blade at 63 HRC that takes and holds a serious edge, and is strong without being brittle. Finished with an octagonal handle of stabilized Swedish masur birch and juma, these knives are Swedish as hell. Robin also makes and includes a simple saya with each knife.

Holy crap that choil shot behind the link. I can't find a jaw drop icon that seems adequate. Something tells me this guy's knives won't remain at this price point for long.
I don't know if it's terribly useful, but I had a choil shot from a mini-gyuto tester he sent me a short while ago (obviously not as tall as his 240 gyuto).
l2SSOa4.png

And yeah, the tips get pretty thin:
qymXT9o.jpg

(bottom knife is a Sakai Yusuke, extra-thin model)

Good to see Robin getting some attention.

Super useful! That macro tip photo is beautiful. The choil shot is accurate in idea, but I'd say the S-grind is a bit stronger on the full-size gyutos.

Also, nevermind about the one being available! That was quick.

Thanks for the flattery! Very nice description :)

Finishing up a bunch to send over the pond in the coming days. Merry christmas everyone.

Gorgeous knife....very distinctive visual.

A new batch of Dalmans has arrived! Six beautiful mini-gyuto and gyuto. About half of them are already gone but you've still got a chance to grab one. Here's the link!

dalman_buttermilk.jpg

Back