how should I store my kitchen knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireDragon76

Reaction score
I know that magnetic strips that hang on the wall are popular, but I have a small kitchen and I don't think that would work out. So, what kind of storage should I go for? I currently have an old Faberware universal knife block. I don't trust it with good knife blades- I only keep beater knives in it. The plastic skewers inside it also won't part easily slide in a nakiri-esque Asian knife, which is a style I use a lot. I currently have a Kiwi with a good edge that I use most of the time. I keep my better santoku blade and my kiwi in cardboard blade sheaths I made, and they rest in a drawer along with a tomato slicer. Currently I am leaning towards bamboo drawer inserts or a bamboo board with magnets holders.

If the budget is small, then i'd recommend the 'nosh' knife edge protector. Bought quite a few recently and happy with them.

If you have space, I prefer to line a drawer with terry towels and line them up in there. No contact with the blades and controls and moisture that I might have missed when using.

How about making a knife block? You can customize one to what your collection will ultimately hold. I made a large one years ago using maple boards and oak shims using very basic tools.

I have an outside of the box idea for small kitchens. How about a magnetic bar on the side of your refrigerator, assuming you have a fridge with an exposed side. Just make sure you magnetic vinyl or tape areas where you could have knife to paint contact.

Send all your Shigefusa Kitaeji's to me for proper storage....I'll periodically send pictures of them being properly used, cleaned and stored :)

I use a wall mount like this one, holds 2 rows of knives, edges cannot touch. Given to me as a Christmas gift > 20 years ago and has been totally safe with kids and pets in the house. I load the knives with edges facing away. If there is an issue it is the proximity of handles close together so a little care when taking them out.

wallmtblock.jpg

How about a bamboo block that fits inside a drawer? Is it OK to store knives resting on their edge?

How about a bamboo block that fits inside a drawer? Is it OK to store knives resting on their edge?

If you examine the construction of a drawer block, you'll see that it is held together with four or five 1/2" strips of bamboo running crosswise to the knife slots (at least mine are constructed that way). The knife edges sit on these strips, and there is little to no possibility of degradation of the edge just resting on them.

If you use drawer blocks, ensure that they do not move when the drawer is opened and closed, otherwise if you have a knife longer than the block you run the risk of damaging the tip. The brute force method is to drill through the bottom of the drawer and use screws, but a more elegant (and not destructive) solution is to cut shims to put between the side of the drawer and the block.

ok... I decided to go with the drawer block, that should fit most of my needs.

on further investigation... the knife block does not fit into my drawer.

I have one of those counter-top universal knife blocks with the polypropylene straws that hold the blades. It really only holds western style knives with longer points- cleavers or nakiri won't fit in it. Even a pointier santoku won't fit in as easily Still, I am curious about other peoples experiences with these.

I use one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JNBN75C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 for the money it's probably not worth it but it works well for me where space is a premium and mag bar/in drawer storage wont work. I've got one of those plastic straw blocks for beater knives, if you keep your edges sharp they cut right through the straws which is why I got the block that I linked.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a drawer block, you can take wood and cut slots into it, tailored to your knives. If the slots are narrow, there would be less motion.

Depending on how elegant you want this to be, you could choose the type of wood and use a nice finish.

If it's strictly utilitarian, you could probably do this at no cost, just find some soft wood and borrow a saw.

On the other hand, you could make it more complicated with a thin bottom board, sides or frame, and other pieces to minimize knife movement.

I have too many knives so there are a couple of mag bars in my house. One in the kitchen and one in my office.

I have a small 5-6 knife mag bar in the kitchen, and a storage stone/knife room with some shelves where I'm forced to keep the majority.

Good thing is there I'm able to keep things temporarily out of reach of my still too-short daughter. In time I'll need a new scheme, though.

I have heard mag bars can chip the edge of blades. Has anyone else experienced this?

Only issue I've had with a mag bar is with knives with insanely thin tips. You have to be careful how you pull it off so the tip doesn't hit the wall (super hard blades probably could have an issue with the tip if you aren't careful.) Oh yeah, make sure you use screws rather than removable adhesive strips to attach it to the wall otherwise you could have a disaster....ask me how I know. :curse:

Only issue I've had with a mag bar is with knives with insanely thin tips. You have to be careful how you pull it off so the tip doesn't hit the wall (super hard blades probably could have an issue with the tip if you aren't careful.) Oh yeah, make sure you use screws rather than removable adhesive strips to attach it to the wall otherwise you could have a disaster....ask me how I know. :curse:

I really do need to thank you... I was contemplating doing exactly what you were as the wife won't let me screw one to the wall.

Ended up making myself a knife block.

I just roll the knife on its spine and then pull it off the mag blok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back