MT Cutting Boards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I still have a good supply of lumber that I purchased years ago when I dabbled in making cutting boards. Later I had looked for somebody I could team-up with to produce these, but haven't found anybody, I shelved this project.

Now I need to make some room and am thinking of producing boards from the lumber I have left. I have some cherry, walnut, white oak. These however will be on the smaller size - 12-13 x 17-18 x 2. I don't cut my board to size, width-wise, but instead leave full rows, hence size of the width will slightly vary, depending on initial board thickness and how much of it is removed during production stage.

If anybody needs an auxiliary board in this size, this might be right up your alley. I personally, find this size useful when I travel, a weekend retreat in a farm or a cabin, or internationally, though I end up gifting it, so the travel is one-way))).

Construction will feature recessed feet and routed slots for fingers, making these boards low-profile - raising over the counter top by just 3/16. This was an early design decision, influenced by my wife's preference (5'5"). She found all other boards too high and uncomfortable to use.

See pictures in the link below for details.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/10917-Cutting-Boards-and-Magnetic-Strips

The boards will be available once I complete them. Pricing TBD.

WIP - a belated Xmas present

IMG_20151225_172143947_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151225_172212122_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151226_125815166.jpg

IMG_20151226_130357335.jpg

Oooh I am loving this already! Any sort of pricing in mind?

\de-lurk

Mark- Very pretty. Are you going to slice em up for end grain or stay with edge/face?

WL

/re-lurk

I'll take a couple. Keep me posted.

Thank you for the interest. I won't have that many boards, as I don't plan on stocking more wood, unless I find something spectacular.

I might consider making some mid-range priced boards from thinner stock in white oak. White oak is perfectly suitable for the boards, however one has to be a little more careful as to not leave any carbon steel on the board for a long time. The tannins in the oak would react with the iron, and you get black lines on the surface. For that matter, I found that my cherry and walnut also reacted with carbon steel.

Pictures of a board in white oak are coming. This one is for Hoss.

M

Have these two sanded, now need to rout finger recesses, trim, finish sand and stabilize with mineral oil.

These two will be up for sale. The smaller one was a gift, but it turned out it's too big!! so I have to make a smaller one)))

IMG_20151229_173655927.jpg

IMG_20151229_164924605.jpg

I'll take one of the smaller ones. Caught my brother cutting on a plate at his house Christmas eve, almost gave me a heart attack...

Bill,
the middle board is 11.5 x 17 x 1 7/8 I think.

The cost is calculated per a cubic inch - length times width times thickness times $.48. The boar that you are asking about would be in the area of $175 before shipping.

Right now I am trying to use up wood stock that I accumulated, so there will be boards on the smaller side, but periodically in a lumber yard I come across wood with a really interesting end grain and I'd buy it with intention of turning it into a cutting board. I would say that in the past five years I came across such wood 3-4 times, and the boards turned out to be really amazing. Here is one of them. My first board, in 2010.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1293473822-DSC_1404.JPG

This one was really good too.. Old growth walnut, heavy as hell.
http://cdn.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14070&d=1423510169&thumb=1

Marko

Hi Marko - Absolutely beautiful work on the cutting boards!

Just for my clarification the board for sale (@ $135 sized 10.7 5 x 14 x 1 7/8) is the small one on the top in the photo of the stack of three on the table & not the one shown in the top photo correct?

Thx,

Tom

Mahogany board for sale - $135 + Shipping
10.7 5 x 14 x 1 7/8

View attachment 30699

View attachment 30698

Really nice Marko. Are they all spoken for? Any plans for more magnetic bars?

Just for my clarification the board for sale (@ $135 sized 10.7 5 x 14 x 1 7/8) is the small one on the top in the photo of the stack of three on the table & not the one shown in the top photo correct?
Yes, Tom, the only one available is the smallest one. The other two are bespoken. I will have some more in ~12x18x1 7/8 range (or slightly smaller) in cherry soon.

Really nice Marko. Are they all spoken for? Any plans for more magnetic bars?
Yes, planning a trip to a lumber yard to look for interesting wood for magnetic strips. Can't help it, find a great wood wood, need to make something out of it. )))

Back