Moritaka Love....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-rat

Reaction score
So kind of feel weird posting this because I don't often start threads on this forum but prefer to read and comment on other's posts. I don't know if anyone even cares about this but I figure it is the right place to express myself after a day of prep with large volumes of produce.*

I own a Moritaka Chukabocho 190mm Ao Super. Its got grind issues (read accordian food) but as I've mentioned in another thread when it comes off the stones the first two sessions of long prep at work go incredibly well and quickly.*

Today at my work we were prepping to feed close to 1200 people this weekend. Its a festival here in st louis and we are one of the vendors.*

Long story short my trusty cleaver had just come off the stones and took down 50lbs of onions sliced to caramelize, 60-70 lbs of cabbage shredded for slaw, 15 bunches of green onions, 20lbs of daikon julienned for pickles and 5 bunches of cilantro (rough chop) and would still just barely shave my arm without stropping when I was done.*Maybe for some of you this is a daily thing to prep this quantity of veg but I'm used to doing dinner parties for 40-45.

I think it's good to have a knife that will survive a beating, but the feeling you experienced is transference. Most any decent-performing knife will survive that on a decent cutting board. You had a productive day at work, and are satisfied with yourself. People say "a tool becomes an extension of the user", this is what they mean. Congratulations on the workout!

Maybe it's time to go to sleep now. #Beefeater

Back