Favorite Steak Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gark

Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading my steak knives. I was given a gift of steak knives from Morton's Steak house a few years ago but they are not great.

Who has steak knives that they love?

The Butch Harner steak knives I have are truly the most wicked steak knives I have ever used. Spendy though (figure $150/ea), and will have you searching for maple plates, as you will be hesitant to have guests who are not, uhm, cutlery-aware hacking them against ceramic plates. One of the best knife purchases that I have made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tojiro steak knives $136 for 4 knives is a great deal.

If you are open to all possibilities, I agree with considering buying a set of 135mm petties. 105 to 150 would work, rather than restricting yourself to traditional steak knife shapes.

Not to derail your thread but another question is do you bring your amazing new steak knife with you to a restaurant? It was debated for a bit on the forum in this thread:http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/24146-Bring-your-own-steak-knife-to-a-fine-dining-restaurant?highlight=bring+steak+knife+to+a+restaurant. Short answer some say no, some say yes....

AM curious about the tojiro suggestion, wouldn't a softer german type steel work better than VG10?? I use a cheap set of chicago knives that sharpen reasonable easily BTW

AM curious about the tojiro suggestion, wouldn't a softer german type steel work better than VG10?? I use a cheap set of chicago knives that sharpen reasonable easily BTW

What's wrong with vg 10. It's hard enough and easy to sharpen.

I really like VG10 as well, great compromise for edge retention and ease of sharpening especially for a knife that will dull more quickly in uneducated hands against ceramic plates... although I only have experience using my own VG10 on plates.

I recently got a set of 6 torino steak knives from James at K&S for 200 shipped! Great little knives! Non serrated and sharp! Since they are going to take a beating I didn't want to spend much! Far better than anything I saw in a similar price range!

I have a set of Global steak knives. They work great, hold a decent edge and I'm not concerned about them being used on ceramic plates.
I think that if I went with anything harder or with a finer edge I'd be inclined to use them on wooden plates.

They also come in a nice drawer rack (with or without matching forks) and they make good general use utility knives for opening packages and other things you wouldn't use your other knives for. I wouldn't be without them and will definitely keep them around even if I get a custom set of steak knives in the future.

When on a tighter budget I can really recommend the Opinel table knives (Bon Appetit line). They're made of decent steel, have a straight edge (not serrated, so you can properly sharpen them) and nice wooden handles. Only minor downside is that the handles are a bit on the thin side. But for about 10 bucks a knife you get really great steak knives with a great f&f. I took the olive wood handles but they have them in all kinds of coloured birch handles. Personally I'd rather put the money saved by not buying 50 dollar a piece knives into buying some decent wooden plates so the knives actually last...

125_olivier.jpg

http://www.opinel.com/cuisine-et-table/bon-appetit/sud/n125-olivier

Back