New Year - New Knife??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonestter

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Either

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $500

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Veggies - I like cabbage, peppers, leeks, salad, stir fry's and poultry

What knife, if any, are you replacing? This knife is enlarging the quiver, and and hoping it will be THE one (how many times do we see this)

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch mainly

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Chopping, push slicing, rocking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) I Guess what I'm looking for is an improved version of the Tojiro Shirogami. I like almost everything about it

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Rustic looking, maybe hammered, KU, stone pebbled or least in priority Damascus

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Looking for a medium weight knife with possible rounded spine/choil

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Not important as I keep sharp whenever needed

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) End Grain

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes - stones, strop etc

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) No

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Looking for a decent blade height (50 - even 53 or more) for knuckle and finger board clearance and would like a rustic looker

I have been looking at the Masakage Koishi (which is something I like the look of) but the thin-ness and light weight is something I may not like (I have the Konosuke HD for this duty)

Here's a couple of others I have looked at
KOCHI 240MM KUROUCHI STAINLESS
Teruyasu Fujiwara

Cheers Guys, over to you

just looking at the specs you might want to check out the yoshikane hammered skd 240... used to be a really popular knife. I haven't owned one but like I said seems to fit your specs. Just not sure about height @ heel couldn't find any measurements online.

Good luck!

just looking at the specs you might want to check out the yoshikane hammered skd 240... used to be a really popular knife. I haven't owned one but like I said seems to fit your specs. Just not sure about height @ heel couldn't find any measurements online.

Good luck!

I just bought one!! Didn't use it yet, so I can't comment, but it's not very high at the heel.
I would suggest a Toyama Naborikoi from Maksin, but the finish is not rustic, is that important for you bonestter?

Kochi 240 stainless clad :)

The Kochi sure is a nice knife, and I know you are a fan from your post recommendations

The profile was changed (more sleek?) a couple of years back along with the stainless cladding (from carbon) which looks good too

Weight wise looks around what I'm after (191gms). The Tojiro comes in at an even 200 and feels good in the hand. Not laser light, but not Kramer heft

I would slightly prefer a hammered finish which though, and would you know how the profile performs - progressive curve? Bit of rocking ok with it etc?

Many thanks

Good luck!

Aesthetics wise the Yoshi is very nice, but what about the long flat portion? Doesn't look too much of a rocker, or is it just me seeing it incorrectly?

These have been getting some good reviews recently:
http://www.knivesandstones.com/syou...-aogami-super-stainless-cladding-by-kurosaki/

I picked up one of these recently, and like it a lot:
http://www.knivesandstones.com/tana...o-240mm-with-custom-octagonal-bubinga-handle/
Out of stock at the moment, but I think he's going to get a few more.
It really is a very nice knife.

The Syousin Chiku is something which keeps cropping up, and looks good - 51 heel height, and a thinnish tang? making for even more of a higher feeling/more clearance? Plus it's AS :)

I was quite tempted by the Tanaka a while back but didn't (can't quite remember why now). Very nice, but too close to my other knives now

THankyou

I've just re looked at the Masakage Koishi and it has a bit of heft to it, no? At 7.2oz it's no laser whippet

The Koshi looks just what I'm after - generous height, nice hammered rustic appearance

'Very thin behind the blade' hmmm... how thin in very thin? Kono HD thin? Tojiro Shirogami thin?? I really don't want a knife that needs babying too much

love my Koishi Bunka to piece, never selling that guy ;)

Back