My grandfather's carving set

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimH

Reaction score
Most Sunday dinners at my grandfather's house had some sort of roast that required carving. He did it at the table with this carving set. (That house was traditional in most ways imaginable.....as a kid, I sometimes resented that tradition. Now I miss it.)

I have inherited the carving set. The knife has a crappy, abused stainless blade attached. It seems to be riveted/bolted into the handle. I am interested in replacing the blade with something of quality. Any thoughts on how/what to do with this? I would like to turn this set into something I might use on the rare occasions that I carve something at the table.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Links to images:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hobcnos5e5t9nt/2015-12-31 10.57.35.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/80ndzxi425ljgm1/2015-12-31 10.57.48.jpg?dl=0

Personally I'd start a new tradition with a brand new custom slicer from one of the custom folks on this board. I've seen a few pics of matching carving forks too....just saying'.

It sounds like the set has some sentimental value. I've seen some threads where welding was done to make a tang, but in this case you want to preserve the handle. Without actually seeing it it'd be hard to say if it's doable, it almost looks like there's a spot weld/solder in the second link but am not sure. Perhaps another option would be to restore (polish) the set and either use for family meals or keep in the china cabinet on display

I'm not a knife maker but replacing the blade from what i understand is gonna cost you the price of a new knife or more bc it will most likely be more work for a maker to craft a blade and put it on that handle then to make a new knife from scratch.

I think tjangula really suggested the best option if you want to gain some use but retain the sentimental value.

the other option is have a completely new knife made to mimic the original. as far as suggesting a maker to talk to you would really have to gauge their workload and interest but i know more then one is capable of giving whatever you decide. randy haas of HHH might be a good place to start though.

I'd sharpen and keep as is to be honest, or use the fork with a new slicer.

Some SS older than dishwashers are not so bad. They are made for cutting, not to withstand the dishwasher. the Blade might be worth a refurbish.

AfaIk these handles are hollow made, filled with sand for Balance, with soldered tang of the blade. There should be no problem mounting a replacement.

To me a good refurbish would be the way.

Back