Hammered Black Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonestter

Reaction score
I really like the look of these, however they are thin on the ground, plus I'm looking for a medium weight

I like the striking banding colour contrast, the feel of the matt black finish, overall rustic look. The look just says blade to me

More Deba's around

So far I have found the following gyuto's:

Any more around I have missed?

Masakage Koishi

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/**************/masakage-koishi-gyuto-240mm-10.png

Tojiro Hammered Black Carbon Steel 8.25-inch

51HDpf3BbML._SX450_.jpg

Akifusa Aogami Super

akifusa_as_st_k-tip_gyuto_240_1_profile_cropped-jpg.2318

Fukui black forged 210mm

ld-wide-FWPaddock-20140203120125109064-620x0.jpg

However, the Chiku is a relatively new knife from a relatively new maker, with little online feedback so represents somewhat of a leap of faith

All looks good on it though I have to say

Masakage Koishi spots some really nicely heat treated super blue and the kurouchi does not come off at all. I have ko-bunka and it works great for me. But I also find that there are not the thinest knives and a gyuto could need thinning out of the box. The knife has basically wide bevels what may be part of the reason. I use the knife for soft stuff like cheese and salami, so I have no need to thin the knife.

I think this could be my ultimate 'gyuto'

I know, 'for that money you could do blah blah' but the look is like nothing else, and the performance is impossible to knock

F&F of the handle is the worst out there (std handle) which is something I find a little puzzling, but still...

p1010004-jpg.8277

chiffonodd - that is a very striking looking knife indeed, thanks

I remember reading somewhere that in Japan consumers are not as obsessive about fit and finish as western customers. Ive also seen vendors state that many knives customers return for x reason (usually f&f) are not accepted as "defective" by the smith as generally something like a wonky handle won't have an appreciable effect on performance.

I think generally the Japanese chefs are more concerned with the blade and how it cuts/sharpens than anything aesthetic.

Murata has a very similar line of knife to the denka (aesthetics). Might tick some boxes for you too.

Hey spoiledbroth, thankyou for the kind words and I'm hearing you. My damascus 'looks craving' has been superseded by function, but while I have quenched the function need, the aesthetic remains. The 'looker' I'm after now needs soul to satisfy both and the FT Denka is something I am considering

However, what I would be very happy with is a nicer and more reasonably priced version of my Tojiro Shig ($50) if that makes sense. Ive done similar with audio gear - searching for grail that existed much cheaper. (Well, sort of, and I ended up with Japanese gear)

Still, I'm in no rush so will enjoy and keep looking. Thankyou for the Murata suggestion. I've had a quick look and I like

HYN to you

Same to you!

I didn't mean to come off as critical. We all have different criteria for buying a knife! If I had the budget for a pretty knife I'd have bought one :)

Bones tater, have you checked out the Yoshikane hammered KU series in SKD ? They seem on the lighter side, however...

I know, 'for that money you could do blah blah' but the look is like nothing else, and the performance is impossible to knock

If that's a TF, you may get some arguments...at least against initial grind. Over priced knives imo. The grind on the Hinoura on the other hand looks quite tempting.

What a difference a night's sleep can make. Yes, the TF's are mega money for what are the worst J-knife F&F

However, the more I look into the Mutsumi Hinoura, the sweeter it becomes. Real kudos

His 'twisted damascus is nice too, but very big money

I think this could be my ultimate 'gyuto'

F&F of the handle is the worst out there (std handle) which is something I find a little puzzling, but still...

p1010004-jpg.8277

chiffonodd - that is a very striking looking knife indeed, thanks

TFs are fabulous cutters, they'll still be on my rack long after some more "hyped" knives have gone.

Bones tater, have you checked out the Yoshikane hammered KU series in SKD ? They seem on the lighter side, however...

The Yoshikane KU Tsuchime are white #2 with soft iron cladding. The SKD series are satin finished rather than KU.

Hey MrOli, no bashing TF's (I still really like them) but it's my man-logic to talk myself buying something else ;)

(Might still get one yet)

Is it Cambridgeshire UK you're in btw?

Could anyone give any thoughts or comment on how the Hinoura compares to the Syousin Chiku KU?

My knife knowledge is very little, but it seems they are more similar than not (and of course $200)

Hey MrOli, no bashing TF's (I still really like them) but it's my man-logic to talk myself buying something else ;)

(Might still get one yet)

Is it Cambridgeshire UK you're in btw?

I am always doing that too, I do find the Denka too expensive in comparison to the Maboroshi.

Yes, I am in Cambs UK with a weekly commute to Hampshire.

Just noticed that Masashi Kobo have a line of hammered gyutos in KU and blue 2 on the Aframes Tokyo site if you are still in the market for one.

Just noticed that Masashi Kobo have a line of hammered gyutos in KU and blue 2 on the Aframes Tokyo site if you are still in the market for one.

Do you have a link as I can only find their highly polished knives

Thanks

Thanks Mikedtran

Quite striking looking - I like the black hammering, unusual profile or is it me. Seem as though they have a long flat section, and then an acute belly up into the tip?

Thanks Mikedtran

Quite striking looking - I like the black hammering, unusual profile or is it me. Seem as though they have a long flat section, and then an acute belly up into the tip?

Definitely striking (pun-intended?) and nice that it comes with a Saya too.

I would agree on the profile, though I like the idea of a long flat section.

@Kevpenbanc has a Kobo so I would send him a PM to see what he thinks about the profile. If I remember correctly they are also slightly taller blades form kev's comments on IG.

Definitely striking (pun-intended?) and nice that it comes with a Saya too.

I would agree on the profile, though I like the idea of a long flat section.

@Kevpenbanc has a Kobo so I would send him a PM to see what he thinks about the profile. If I remember correctly they are also slightly taller blades form kev's comments on IG.

I have a damascus version from Aframes, SLD steel.
Very tall blades, which I am liking. There is quite a long flat section with a fairly pronounced curve at the tip - the knife keeps it's depth most of the way down the blade.
It felt very pronounced the first time I used it, but haven't noticed it since.
As I do most of my cutting by resting the tip on the board I find that it works really well.

I'm really liking the knife, it's fairly thin, nimble and a very good cutter.

Hope this helps.
Kev

Takeshi suji make nice knives in aogami super with hammered kurouchi clad.
Outstanding knife, I own a gyuto in that line and it s just amazing.
Heavy knife with a thin edge.
Absolutely a must to have.

Takeshi suji make nice knives in aogami super with hammered kurouchi clad.
Outstanding knife, I own a gyuto in that line and it s just amazing.
Heavy knife with a thin edge.
Absolutely a must to have.

You mean this one?

Wow, 302 g that is a heavy knife. How does that weight feel in the hand?

SJ-9.jpg

Back