Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First two attempts

First two attempts

I have had my a nova a while but was slightly intimidated, but the other day I went to give it a shot and hard boil some eggs and I learned a few things.

I undercooked my eggs by going from tap water not at temp. Thus I ended with more poached eggs than hard bliled... but my 4 year olds were crazy for these "special eggs"

Last night I decided to give beef tenderloin a shot. 130 for 2.5 hours and it came out wonderfully, most of the fat had rendered or deconstructed to be chewable without issue. Quick sear with rosemary and thyme afterward. My wife's said she thought it was better than any other cook. The texture was more along medium rare, but was still super tender. Paired it with butternut squash noodles and twice baked potatoes.

Have a knife day!

Keep at it! It gets a lot easier over time ... also if you just add a few extra eggs you will get exactly what you want but ckecking the ones a little early.

A few other links (if you don't already have them form section of the forum);

Baldwin http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Mondernist http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/01/why-cook-sous-vide/

Kenji/SeriousEats http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/10/u...lumenthal.html

but my favorite source is from the folks at ChefSteps / Join the site it is really a great source of info (Sous vide or not ...)

https://www.chefsteps.com/

Have fun with it!

Tom

Administrator
    Fat? Tenderloin? Where are you getting your meat?

Are you steaking first then SV the filets? Or SV the loin, steak and sear? For whole loins I like 129F for red meat eaters. 131F for good medium rare. Whole loins for at least 3 hrs. Steaks for 1.5 - 2.

Sounds like you done good, just have to do it more often. Hint: Pork loin for 3 hr @140F. The wife will be buying you diamonds.4
    Older and wider..

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Fat? Tenderloin? Where are you getting your meat?

Are you steaking first then SV the filets? Or SV the loin, steak and sear? For whole loins I like 129F for red meat eaters. 131F for good medium rare. Whole loins for at least 3 hrs. Steaks for 1.5 - 2.

Sounds like you done good, just have to do it more often. Hint: Pork loin for 3 hr @140F. The wife will be buying you diamonds.4
    These were cut from a loin, but someone else gave them to me after cleaning it up so there was a few spots that did not get trimmed off.

These were individual steaks so I did SV then sear.

Thanks for the links above and I will have to look into doing a pork loin in the future! Maybe instead of diamonds she will buy me a new knife or bike
    Have a knife day!

No hints really but I have been very happy with "sear" then SV for proteins at least ... SV beef short rib is SUBLIME! and PINK!

Jusr my $0.02 ... definitely the SV moment for me ... but there are SO MANY OTHER things it actually can do - bottom line is PLEASE KEEP POSTING as it really helps us all!

TjA

Quote Originally Posted by MontezumaBoy View Post
    No hints really but I have been very happy with "sear" then SV for proteins at least ... SV beef short rib is SUBLIME! and PINK!

Jusr my $0.02 ... definitely the SV moment for me ... but there are SO MANY OTHER things it actually can do - bottom line is PLEASE KEEP POSTING as it really helps us all!

TjA
    This! try searing first, then SV! you can sear again after if you want the crispyness.

Something I've been messing around with is resting the SV protein at room temp, as opposed to chilling directly from SV bath.

These days, I buy "choice" steaks individually vac. from Restaurant Depot. I take steaks directly from the freezer, put them into water and set SV to 128 for a couple of hours. Then pull them, rest on counter for an hour or so, remove from bags, wipe clean, season, rest them a hour or so until ready to sear.

Come out perfect and I still get great texture and flavor from a lower quality cut of meat. I think not chilling right gives the enzymes more time to work. Just conjecting, but I also think the meat reabsorbs some of the juices squeezed out from cooking.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Something I've been messing around with is resting the SV protein at room temp, as opposed to chilling directly from SV bath.

These days, I buy "choice" steaks individually vac. from Restaurant Depot. I take steaks directly from the freezer, put them into water and set SV to 128 for a couple of hours. Then pull them, rest on counter for an hour or so, remove from bags, wipe clean, season, rest them a hour or so until ready to sear.

Come out perfect and I still get great texture and flavor from a lower quality cut of meat. I think not chilling right gives the enzymes more time to work. Just conjecting, but I also think the meat reabsorbs some of the juices squeezed out from cooking.
    Aren't then your steaks cold in the middle? If you leave them out of SV for 2h and then only sear?

Pro tip - season on all sides with sea salt and fresh black pepper, Sear your raw steaks on side one, after the flip add a pad of butter, 2 crushed garlic cloves, a whole rosemary sprig cut in half, and a good amount of thyme, baste the steaks in the foamy hot butter till just before rare (115-120) and pull them off, drain the butter and garlic/herbs into a bowl to cool so it will not melt the bag. put everthing in the bag a SV for how ever long you think best, for a well aged piece of prime meat you don't really need an extended amount of time. Pull from SV and drain the liquid reserve, let rest for 5 min. Re sear hard to get a very dark crust, pull and rest for how ever long you seared. Durring the rest, bring the drained brown butter with a little vinegar (3:1)to a boil and brush it on the steaks before you eat them, finishing salt to tatse if you like it.

Won't the fats in the butter absorb most of the aromatics (rosemary and thyme in this case) and not allow them to permeate the meat?

Wouldn't you be better off adding the rosemary and thyme (plus maybe some garlic cloves and sliced shallots) directly to the pouch sans the butter?