• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

"one of a kind" custom 270mm Shiro Hayate Kensaki Yanagi #4

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riverie

Reaction score
Here I have for sale is a brand new never use custom 270mm Shiro Hayate Kensaki Yanagi with serial number #4. A regular hayate is already hard to find, shiro hayate is much harder, and to find the one with kensaki tip is even rarer!!!

Years ago while I was still working as a chef in NY, I was looking for this specific knife as my Holy Grail. Unfortunately Mr.Doi just stopped producing Shiro Hayate due to his advance age, therefore he only can produce regular hayate line. The white#1 according to Mr.Doi can take a keener edge, hold it for a longer period of time because it's a harder steel, but the draw back is harder for him to make one. I was searching everywhere, and I ended up contacted Suisin company in Japan, begging them to help me out.
To my surprised a month later I got the answer back and they said they found one shiro hayate blade that finished and left by accident by Mr. Keijiro Doi in his workshop :D. The blade serial number is #4, the length is 27cm, kensaki tip yanagiba. They told me shiro hayate is long time gone, and this is the last shiro hayate blade by Mr.Doi that accidentally misplaced by him. Without thinking twice I closed the deal, they did the finishing and polishing on the blade up to mirror finished, securely packed, and sent it to a very lucky new owner in New York.

Just like any other Hayate it comes with box presentation, certificate paper, wooden saya, etc...
I gave it a full custom job with the handle consist of 2 toned amboyna burl with blue metallic resin, musk ox horn ferrule, silver with blue liner....Custom amboyna burl saya with musk ox horn pin...... and a matching chopstick using the remaining block from the wood.

This is your chance to own one of a kind Shiro Hayate knife that you won't see anywhere. I never used the knife so mirror finish still there, factory bevel and edge still there also. What you see in the picture is what you get, including the original saya.
$1550 shipped to CONUS with insurance, PayPal.
DSC021a18_zps9fimq8wl.jpg

DSC02123_zpsglcctz19.jpg

DSC02120_zpsnqy54kqw.jpg

DSC02119_zps951hbdq0.jpg

DSC02118_zps8bi42twn.jpg

DSC02115_zpscc8fpja1.jpg

DSC02112_zpsoqrrkhnw.jpg

DSC02111_zpsqeqbuwp4.jpg

DSC02108_zpsvuykotdo.jpg

Feel free to reach me out if you any further question. Thank you for looking and happy new year to all of you :)!!!

For some strange reason this knife seems to be calling me. I really wished I had a real need for a Yanagi. And the story behind this knife is so serendipitous!

I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to woods, but at first glance I thought that saya and handle were buckeye burl. Pure handsome nonetheless

Marc thank you for the reminder. The wood is buckeye burl....not amboyna burl. I have another knife with amboyna burl so I got mixed up.

This is gonna make someone very, very happy one day. I have a far more regular offering from Mr. Doi and I don't use it much but when I do, it's a deeply satisfying and singular cutting experience. I'm surprised there isn't more of a frisson around his work because he is, unequivocally, a master. I can't help but feel that if he churned out gyutos instead of yanagibas, it'd be next to impossible to obtain.

Who made the saya/handle? They are gorgeous

SOLD!!!
This gorgeous Shiro Hayate is going to a new good home.

Serious question: do people use $2400 knives in their kitchen? It seems after the first use, it would be blemished, ruining the pristine aesthetic... is this not true?

Why not? It's a tool after all for a lot of people .. I see lot of people use expensive knife at work (saltydog, chefniloc, etc..).
Same questions would be like... Do some people really wear rolex submariner diver watch to dive?

This is one I'm happy to see sold, as I was very tempted to buy it! (don't really need a third yanagi in my house...)

Funny, I dive with a very expensive ( by most standards) dive watch, but I don't think I would actually use a knife like this. I'd be too afraid to blemish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back