revisiting masamoto ks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
is it worth trying out? i've always only gone with tall blades that have good edge retention. the edge profile has me curious and white steel is super easy to maintain so could be a fun change of pace. ironically i'm currently more interested in the suji as i've got the 'need new toy (i mean) knife' itch and would rather just swap my current one (kikuichi elite carbon).

should i even bother? if so, anyone care to loan one out?

You want to borrow a Masamoto KS Suiji (mine is 270mm)? I can send you one to use, PM me your shipping information.

Worth checking out. After you've been around the KKF block a few times the KS has a pretty basic vibe but in a classic way. My first suji was a kikuichi (didn't like) and I think the KS would be a fun toy to upgrade to.

It has the best Shape...I love it's shape. I had 3... they all have disappointed, big thick edges. I'm having Marko re-imagine one for me.

My favorite profile by far. Edge gets screaming sharp, and even though it isnt the thinnest behind the edge, I've never had a problem with it wedging. Edge retention isnt the greatest but its a very fun knife and easy to sharpen on the stones!

I'm using a newish one at the moment, it's plenty thin enough, but sticktion is annoying and it has pretty much the worst edge retention of any knife I've used.
I love the profile though (Gyuto)

I would agree with Huw, other than the stiction thing. I bought the one I was used and the right side had been fairly convexed while the left was flat. I plan on hunting down another and replicating that.

The edge retention is pretty bad, and for whatever reason this knife hates a microbevel. I kept wanting to put one on for easy touchups and the performance was crap. As soon as I took it off and deburred by stropping the performance came back.

The package is on the way, enjoy.

Nice gesture, reminiscent of the earlier days of passarounds and shares like this. Panda always seems to me like he'd be a bit rough, though, careful! ;)

I'm using a newish one at the moment, it's plenty thin enough, but sticktion is annoying and it has pretty much the worst edge retention of any knife I've used.
I love the profile though (Gyuto)

I would agree with Huw, other than the stiction thing. I bought the one I was used and the right side had been fairly convexed while the left was flat. I plan on hunting down another and replicating that.

The edge retention is pretty bad, and for whatever reason this knife hates a microbevel. I kept wanting to put one on for easy touchups and the performance was crap. As soon as I took it off and deburred by stropping the performance came back.

When I thinned my rather thick KS, I convexed the right side rather heavily and had almost zero stiction. I hate micro-bevels...do like deburring by stropping...:)

Bk, you're ultra awesome!

Agreed, BK you still want to try a Watanabe?

I love microbevels, this knife just didn't seem to want one.

I love microbevels, this knife just didn't seem to want one.

You probably have a better sharpening touch than I do...part of the problem I have with white steel in general is that it is so easy to sharpen that I tend to use too much pressure...which for me makes blue steel easier to sharpen:O

I don't like microbevs either.
What interests me about the ks gyuto is the distal taper for precise work as I think it would make a good contrast to my Takeda which I feel like is is too much knife sometimes.

it can't remain usable for a few days with a ceramic steel? i wouldn't mind doing light touchups frequently since white steel is so easy. but constant full progression sharpening would be a deal breaker.

I have a Masamoto Swedish gyuto in the mail as I type. I hope it holds a reasonable edge. This will be my first stainless knife in 7 or so years and you have me worried.

Bill

BK, Better take China up on his offer before #2 arrives. You think things are busy now, boy oh boy, or maybe girl oh girl. Going from one to two is really moving from A league to the Pro's. Surprisingly in my case (Eight, Nine and Eleven), the addition of one more, made things easier, did I really say that. Seriously, congrats.

Just pulled the trigger on a 270mm gyuto. Hopefully it will be my missing link between big prep knife and suji.

I aked Koki about the honyaki gyuto, but he told me that they havent made any honyaki gyutos for a long time. He offered to notify me, when next batch will be on production

I aked Koki about the honyaki gyuto, but he told me that they havent made any honyaki gyutos for a long time. He offered to notify me, when next batch will be on production

Thanks for the tip.

I was intending to order a pair (gyuto and suji); I'll have to let Koki know so that I'm on the books for the next batch.

I also inquired about the honyaki gyutos (already own one) and was told they have not been produced for the better part of a year. There was also no indication that any were being made anytime soon.

For those interested in the Sweedish version of the KS I just posted a review of it. Makes me wonder about the current KS's out there and how they stack up against an older KS.

I picked up a white #2 ks from bluewayjapan in Nov. and am very happy with it. I never used an older model, but if theyre supposed to be better than the new stock then thats saying something!

Back