Edge to Board Sticking

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
I know fairly recently, someone posted a question asking about a friend's knife embedding itself into cutting boards, even though it felt dull. I, along with many here, answered and felt good about my statements.
However, I've recently been in "the zone" when sharpening my knives, and for the past week or so, my three most used knives (all different steels) have been getting pretty deep into my boards when I cut.
My Carter (White 1), my Rodrigue (S35VN) and my Misono Moly have all been given the same treatment, finishing with a Suita JNat, which fills the 6-8k hole, followed by stropping on damp newsprint. I deburred all three very carefully, and the edges are holding up beautifully. I even went so far as to really beat up on my Carter and Rodrigue to compare the steels (we're talking slamming on board, here).
So, in a pretty convoluted way of asking, I'm wondering, is this new sticking a result of crazy sharp edges, or something else? I hate to admit this, but they are almost feeling a bit too sharp for board knives, because my rhythm is getting a bit thrown off while I use them, as a result my new "problem".

just going off on a tangent here, but is there a reason why you strop on damp rather than dry newsprint? I usually strop on dry and it seems to work fine, but if slightly wet is better, then I'll switch over

I think I stole that from Murray Carter. Haha. For me, it just holds the paper in place, and creates a nice amount of grab, on the knife. The results have been amazing, so I'd give it a try, if I were you and see which works better.

I would say it's cutting technique, some will follow through with cuts too far into the board which stops the edge from further movement, or not hitting the board at a 90 degree or precise angle. This causes that sticking feeling. The edge should barely touch the board after cutting into product by a sense and feel of when foods are cleanly cut through.

I was wondering if it was a technique issue, or not....
I have gone back to my French style of cutting recently, for some reason or another. I was push an draw cutting, but t hasn't felt as good the past few days, so I went back to what I was taught.
I'll concentrate on keeping contact down, and to 90 degrees to see if that solves it.
Thanks for the response. :)

It is a different style. If you use sani-tuff boards, this effect is amplified, IME. You can use a sort of locomotive motion and stop JUST when you hit the board. This is extremely gentle on the edge, but takes some getting used to and doesn't help to prevent from slicing off your knuckles on occasion.

You are technically correct, though, in saying that your knives might be "too sharp"--at least for your current technique. If you don't want to/can't alter your technique, you need to adjust the edge to suit the way you use it. A kitchen knife is a piece of space-age steel wedging through some fruit and cow parts; the board is the real enemy here.

I had two knives in my collection that were very "board sticky". I just had to cut with a lighter hand when I used them.

I know that my edges are as sharp and keen as anyone else, and I haven't had a problem with them sticking into my end-grain or sani-tuff boards since the early switch to j-knives (and my current edges are obviously much better than first starting out back then)...so I think technique plays the bigger part here. However, I would also say my cutting technique for a home cook is far above average and doesn't seem to far off from some of the pro vids seen through the years. Most of my knives are all on the thin side and I use a very light but quick and confident stroke (all push or pull cuts, no rocking) and haven't noticed that edge grip/stick sensation in some time.

... because my rhythm is getting a bit thrown off while I use them...

I didn't even see this the first time I read, but I will have to admit that I do need to change technique up a bit when using my sani-tuff vs the end grain for this reason. There is a more resistance with the rubber board, but not enough that I would say is an issue...just different feel.

Back