Recommendation needed: Knife for Mom

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Want to buy a knife for my mom ... bought her a small paring knife and now she's convinced that better knives actually make a difference (HA!).

She does not like super large knives, so please don't judge me when I am looking at Gyutos LOL

USA, but she's in Germany ... so shipping to either country would work, whatever is cheaper. I could take it when flying home next time.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Santoku or smallish gyuto (up to 190mm)

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Doesn't matter.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

165-190

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

Stainless or Semi-Stainless

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$150

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Slicing and mincing veggies.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

None

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Beats me ... but I should teach her to use a pinch grip, I guess.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Push Cutting, some light rocking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Edge retention!

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Not that important. Nice handle is appreciated

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Yes, light knife and good handle are important.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

OOTB edge, less wedging, low maintenance, edge retention

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Priority! She doesn't sharpen, I am not around to sharpen ...

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Synthetic and Wood, but not end grain

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

No, she isn't

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

No

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Hehe, makes me think of the recent (Dec) JT promotion, given some attention on KKF, for a Heiji semi-s santoku with narrower, yanagi-style handle, subtley referred to by Takeshi of JT as '!!!!!!!! THE ULTIMATE KNIFE FOR THE LADIES !!!!!!!!(SALE) JPY17,280' (now sold out, sorry)

**Note: I don't think Takeshi meant this was for befriending 'ladies'. Rather, they might like it in the kitchen. (If there were any female KKF members at all, we could possibly check this. :dazed:)

How do you or she intend to keep the knife sharp? Even with good edge retention it will have to be sent out once or twice a year for sharpening.

That said, I recommend a HAP40 steel knife for edge retention. It's stainless clad.

(Scroll down for the 180mm gyuto, they're located in Berlin)
http://www.fine-tools.com/messerp.html

or

(santoku)
http://www.chuboknives.com/products/kazan-hap40-hammered-santoku-180mm-7-1#.Voq48eoo7qA

Yeah, she will send it out or have someone do it when she goes to a bigger city to meet her aunt.

I bought my first knife at that store in Berlin (well, my wife did), it was right across the street from where we lived.

Hehe, makes me think of the recent (Dec) JT promotion, given some attention on KKF, for a Heiji semi-s santoku with narrower, yanagi-style handle, subtley referred to by Takeshi of JT as '!!!!!!!! THE ULTIMATE KNIFE FOR THE LADIES !!!!!!!!(SALE) JPY17,280' (now sold out, sorry)

**Note: I don't think Takeshi meant this was for befriending 'ladies'. Rather, they might like it in the kitchen. (If there were any female KKF members at all, we could possibly check this. :dazed:)

I'm pretty sure there's one active female kkf member... (but it's not me :eyebrow:)

My first idea was a carbon steel Robert Herder 1922 180mm short chef's knife, and a leather pad for maintenance. But I now realise that prices have risen quite a bit, so I hesitate. Is your mother familiar with blades without a fingerguard? In which case. A Misono 440 180mm might be an option. Or a Hiromoto As santoku. But in all cases I would suggest a good stone sharpening before use.

Misono 440 is a nice knife, but it's not super strong in the edge retention category...especially compared to some of the PM steel options being suggested

Out of curiosity, how are her knife skills? A softer/tougher steel might fare better than one with superb edge retention in a situation where the user really beats up the knife.

Not sure if you want to pursue PM knives. If you do check these sites.

Gihei hap 40; Try the "Bay Trade Japan Knife" web site. They have both gyutos and santokus in this alloy.
SRS 15; Check out "Knifewear" website for Haruyuki SRS 15 santokus (165 and 180) and 180 gyuto. Site is Canadian and prices in CAD. You need to get the exchange rate and figure prices in USD.
R 2; Lots of makers using this. Takamura Migaki has 170 santoku and 180 gyuto in your range.
Knifewear usually has a sale in February if your not in a rush.

I have one of the Heiji 180 santokus on order (for me, as an old mans knife, not a ladies knife) It's a little over your budget but if want to pursue it I have the address.

good luck Pavel

I have gifted my mom (and some other ladies) the Suisin Inox Western in 180. 210 is also available. They are good looking knives and will cut better than anything she has likely used before.

And they're sold right down the street from you at Korin.

Edge retention is certainly important but if your on is like my mom, she'll likely use the knife maybe 8 hrs/yr. I take "stuff" with me when visiting but have never found the knife wanting.

Crank up the budget a bit and buy her a Schanz....

+1, can´t go wrong with a Schanz, fantastic cutter, holds its edge forever, easy to sharpen, nearly indestructible, stainless. SB1 is the way to go. For me the best possible knife for non-knife nuts.

I gifted my Mom a small Hattori HD3G 150mm mini Gyuto and put a new handle on it. She loved it. Appeared to be sold out on JCK, but something along those lines may be good. She wanted the Damascus cladding, but the Hattori grind and F&F was excellent.

Has your mom tried a Kyocera Santoku knife? It isn't a sexy suggestion but it's light and feels great and isn't intimidating. She might get a kick out of having a sharp vegetable peeler if you get a package of the knife and a peeler.

I'm kind of in the same boat as your mom except that I sharpen my knives with a Spyderco Sharpmaker. These are the knives I'm daydreaming of buying that would also float her boat I think:

- Takamura Migaki R-2 Santoku 170mm
- Kohetsu SLD Santoku 170mm
- Goko Nashiji Petty 150mm

I don't think your mom would be into the Goko becuase of the way it looks but I'm thinking of getting one because I'm curious about White #1 steel and it seems to be super light.

Back