This ain't your momma's damascus cladding

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
Used my Ealy tonight at work during service, which includes slicing mid-rare (usually) duck breast to order. Afterwards I noticed my edge bevels had patina'd and revealed the damascus pattern all the way to the edge.

del1.jpg

del2.jpg

del3.jpg

del4.jpg

del5.jpg

No, you were right, they are solid damascus. I just worded it kinda vaguely. Not being your mom's damascus cladding was meant to imply they were solid damascus.

Love the pics john, very cool. How are you digging the del's knife so far?

That's really great looking! This has to be one of the coolest knives I've held.

How does it effect cutting? Way cool look :)

The patina on the edge bevels? Not at all. How does the damascus cut compared to straight steel? Not sure. I wouldn't be able to notice the difference in a blind test between it and any other high quality steel. Plus the steels used and Del's heat treat also affect how it cuts. It take a very nice edge and holds it quite well, but I am sure Del's straight steel knives are no different. Supposedly a damascus cutting edge will get "toothy" as you use it because the different steels wear at different rates. I have not really noticed this, but I probably sharpen too often to let it develop any sort of tooth.

The patina on the edge bevels? Not at all. How does the damascus cut compared to straight steel? Not sure. I wouldn't be able to notice the difference in a blind test between it and any other high quality steel. Plus the steels used and Del's heat treat also affect how it cuts. It take a very nice edge and holds it quite well, but I am sure Del's straight steel knives are no different. Supposedly a damascus cutting edge will get "toothy" as you use it because the different steels wear at different rates. I have not really noticed this, but I probably sharpen too often to let it develop any sort of tooth.

The wear resistant qualities of O-1 and L-6 are similar, but not exactly the same, however with the passion that you guys have for sharp, you will never notice the toothiness effect, because you guys would sharpen before you get to that point, Just as Johnny said above :D
Del

With a lighter or no etch, this effect would develop along the entire blade. I think it's quite attractive.

Interesting images - but I guess that's pretty normal due to the methods of production.

Back