Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knifemaker Advice

Knifemaker Advice

I've been asked before to give advice/tips to new knifemakers. I thought that it might be interesting to make a thread where we can add some little tidbits of wisdom to maybe help others out. We can all learn from others.

To start the ball rolling I'd like to add....

Flatten ya platen!

I find this is something of the upmost importance to speed and quality of work.

Yes even those "ceramic glass" platens need checking and flattening regularly. I just finished doing both my glass and hardened steel platens. A disc (bench) sander loaded with a ceramic disc works great for this task.

Don't start, there is no known cure.

If you must, buy the best equipment you can, use good materials.

Find a mentor, learn his method first, then find your own path. 10 makers, 10 different ways to make a knife. If you listen to all of them, you'll be all mixed up.

Hoss

Abrasives - use them like they're FREE!

A 1/4" pin wont fit into a 1/4" hole.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Available Knives

It will take several years before you will feel like you know what you are doing. Don't assume)))

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Handle makers should join in the discussion as well.

Get a drill press, if you want straight holes for pins. You will quickly become frustrated with handheld drilling if you want precision.

Don't even start. Just buy from good makers. Save yourself tons of time and money.

Don't take deposits. Wait lists are fine, when someone's name is called and the work starts, then you can ask for a % up front. If they are no longer interested, on to the next person. Too many of y'all are too burdened and stressed by owed work.

"God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney