Looking for a nice Wa Petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-HaT-

Reaction score
Hi fellow addicts,

I've been stung by a really weird insect which gave me the same disease as many of you : the inexplicable will to hoard a stupid amount of vaguely sharp triangle-shaped piece of (usually, but not limited to) steel.

I bought a Sakai Takayuki Syusin Sakura 240mm Gyuto (Blue #2 with iron cladding) from James few weeks ago, and I'm very very pleased with the knife. Let me use this message to say that James has been absolutely perfect to help me buying the knife ! He answered about 15 emails in about a day and a half, without ever showing the tiniest bit of frustration :biggrin: ! And the knife arrived from Australia to the UK in less than 48h, which I still fail to understand, considering that packages coming from south London take usually a week to reach my office :scratchhead:

Thing is, I don't want my knife to feel alone, so I am looking to add him a little brother (how is that a bad excuse ???).

The plan is to buy the knife, and my girlfriend will have a custom handle made for it (birthday incoming :biggrin: ). This handle will probably be made by Carter (CII Bladeworks) so the knife will be shipped to the US.

Here is part of the usual form to help you help me :)

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in?

Petty Knife (but you already know that).

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
It will be rehandled, so I guess it doesn't matter, although it's probably simpler to pick a wa handle as it will be rehandled with a wa handle.

What length of knife are you interested in?
150-180, but a bit flexible on that.

Do you require a stainless knife?
I want a carbon core at least, and would prefer to avoid iron cladding, just because cleaning the blade between every slice of a lemon won't be fun.
So I want something less reactive, but not necessarily stainless.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$ 450 (Just to clarify, yes it's probably overkill for a petty, but considering that I will have a custom handle put on this, it will be well taken care of, so I am looking for something v v nice)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for ?
Anything the 240mm Gyuto would be too big for.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
None obviously.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Can we use any other grip than the pinch grip on a petty ?

Better aesthetics
Don't care too much to be honest.

Comfort
Should have a nice F&F (no sharp spine/choil) although keep in mind it will be rehandled so any problem regarding that can be ignored.
If possible, on the light end of the spectrum.

Ease of Use
Not too reactive. I'm thinking about white steel, as I have one blue steel already, just for the easier sharpening, and to have something different. I don't mind sharpening often.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?

Walnut end-grain chopping block.

Do you sharpen your own knives?
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives?
No

I think you should have every bit of information needed by now :)
My birthday being at the beginning of April, I need to buy the blade before March, to allow enough time for the handle. So anything not in stock is fine as long as it comes back in stock before mid-Feb.

On a side note, because she is anxious about using the (quite heavy) Gyuto, I am also looking for a small 180mm Santoku (carbon), easy to sharpen so she can learn, under $150 shipped to the UK, so that she can get used to J-Knives.

Many thanks to all of you who read up to there, and many more thanks to whoever will be nice enough to help me :)

--
Hat

I thought about that, but I don't have enough experience in J-Knives to really know what I like/want, and I don't know if any custom knife would be doable in less than 2 months :/

(Plus I kind of want a Japanese knife, as in from Japan).

JKI has stainless clad Kochi, 180mm. I don't get the rehandle part but I'm sure Jon would ship to Carter, Haburn, etc.

I've two 180s and find it perfect length for Petty. Might as well get the ladies knife there as well. Smiley.

Basically, I buy the knife and she will have Carter or whoever she choses make a custom handle for it.

Thanks for the Kochi suggestion, I will keep that in mind.

Hmm, I think Heiji makes KU petties with the 'Swedish' steel that's similar to white Hitachi, and Watanabe makes KU petty with blue 2. Not sure about the Heiji, but the Watanabe is stainless clad.

With the Heiji or another KU, you're going to have good cladding protection anyway so I wouldn't worry if KU and stainless cladding or not. The Heiji has more of the steel you're looking for but not sure if more than 10% of people without being informed would honestly notice the difference between white and blue, and the blue 2 on Watanabe seems close-ish enough to Heiji carbon to me without getting too nit-picky, and of course there are benefits to blue over white too. Either of these would sound good to me, but (without re-researching) but I think the Watanabe is cheaper, while Heiji will make saya for cheaper than Watanabe.

If you want a saya, maybe for H and if not then W? I would like either, I think, as they're both not short petties, but have a little height to them. There are short stainless petties (I have a very nice monosteel one from Hide, I think Ashi makes an almost identical one and indeed Hide and Ashi are linked) which are good for non-carbon tasks

I agree about the 180 size - most of the time when I use our 150 I wish it was longer (strangely, my wife does not :p)

I think the Kochi is a fine suggestion - but first try the stock burned chestnut handle - they feel super nice in hand.

I bought my wife a Masashi Kobo 150mm damascus petty from aframes. It's a great, great knife. Beautiful finish and very thin blade. Cuts like a dream. But the steel is SLD...

Thank for your suggestions.

I am reading a bit on Watanabe knives right now, seems like they are praised a lot, and could be made in about 2 months, so I might send an email to know if I could have a 180mm petty and how much it would cost.

I saw the Masashi Kobo on Aframes, looks nice, but I also think 150mm is too small, or too big, but not the right length.
Basically too small to cut on a board, and slightly too big to hand chop...

I think I will look for a 180mm (and edit the first post accordingly) after reading some more about petties.

Thanks anyway !

/e : can't edit as soon as there is a message behind :(

--
HaT.

I do not know what knife thickness are you looking into, but stainless clad Watanabe will probably be on thicker side. Shinichi buys the steel clad with stainless (contrary to carbon cladding which he does himself) and the resulting knives are thicker than the carbon clad ones. This information is directly from him. Now how thick is something I do not know.

Thank you for the Watanabe information !

I did read that too, and as his prices are way below my budget, my keyboard might have dropped the "honyaki" word in my email to him :running:
So I guess it would allow for a thinner knife.

I mean anyway, I don't mind a carbon cladding, which will still be less reactive than the iron cladding I have on my Gyuto.

I will see the price for a 180mm honyaki, and then re-assess :biggrin:

--
HaT

Thank you for the Watanabe information !

I did read that too, and as his prices are way below my budget, my keyboard might have dropped the "honyaki" word in my email to him :running:
So I guess it would allow for a thinner knife.

I mean anyway, I don't mind a carbon cladding, which will still be less reactive than the iron cladding I have on my Gyuto.

I will see the price for a 180mm honyaki, and then re-assess :biggrin:

--
HaT

Would you be so nice to inform us about the price after you get feedback. I have his 240 pro gyuto. I just love this knife. Now am seriously considering honyaki

Of course I will keep you posted once he gets back to me !

Stupid hammer grip. I hate you!@!!

Time to give some news :)

After few emails with Shinichi, I ordered a 180mm Petty Honyaki from him, and I added a 120mm Petty from his professional line.

Prices are as follow :

180mm Petty knife JPY 22,000
Honyaki +JPY 24,200
120mm Petty knife JPY 15,000
The shipping JPY 3,200

Please note that shipping for just one knife was JPY3,000, and that if I wanted a Honyaki 120mm it was +JPY 16,500.

It brings the petty to $390 so within my budget. I first asked for a thinner version ( customization on thickness was charged JPY 5,000 ) and although Shinichi was ok to do it, he recommended not to.
As the knife is honyaki, I didn't want to take the risk to have it more fragile than necessary, so I agreed for the original design ( and saved few bucks but who cares at this point :laugh: ).

The knife should be delivered within 5 weeks, which I think is very reasonnable. And as I will only get it once rehandled for my birthday in 3 months anyway, I didn't care too much.

I will definitely update once I have it in my hands.

On the same side note than before, I also bought the Santoku for my girlfriend : it's a Tanaka Damascus 165mm. She kind of picked it after we read some reviews, as my first criteria was that it looks good to her, so that she would want to use it and sharpen it, etc... Trying to get her into J-Knives as well :happymug: (Plus this place kind of seems to lack of girls, don't you think ?) It should arrive on Monday, might put some pictures as well.

Many thanks for the advices !

--
HaT

Many thanks :)

Don't know if I will have the experience to write a real review, but I will definitely post some pictures and the specs of the knife. Gotta find a caliper though.

Time to give some news :)

After few emails with Shinichi, I ordered a 180mm Petty Honyaki from him, and I added a 120mm Petty from his professional line.

Prices are as follow :

180mm Petty knife JPY 22,000
Honyaki +JPY 24,200
120mm Petty knife JPY 15,000
The shipping JPY 3,200

Please note that shipping for just one knife was JPY3,000, and that if I wanted a Honyaki 120mm it was +JPY 16,500.

It brings the petty to $390 so within my budget. I first asked for a thinner version ( customization on thickness was charged JPY 5,000 ) and although Shinichi was ok to do it, he recommended not to.
As the knife is honyaki, I didn't want to take the risk to have it more fragile than necessary, so I agreed for the original design ( and saved few bucks but who cares at this point :laugh: ).

The knife should be delivered within 5 weeks, which I think is very reasonnable. And as I will only get it once rehandled for my birthday in 3 months anyway, I didn't care too much.

I will definitely update once I have it in my hands.

On the same side note than before, I also bought the Santoku for my girlfriend : it's a Tanaka Damascus 165mm. She kind of picked it after we read some reviews, as my first criteria was that it looks good to her, so that she would want to use it and sharpen it, etc... Trying to get her into J-Knives as well :happymug: (Plus this place kind of seems to lack of girls, don't you think ?) It should arrive on Monday, might put some pictures as well.

Many thanks for the advices !

--
HaT

I am very curios how that honyaki petty will turn out. Let us know once it arrives! :)

Many thanks :)

Don't know if I will have the experience to write a real review, but I will definitely post some pictures and the specs of the knife. Gotta find a caliper though.

Good choice. Not trying to jack the thread, but I also have a honyaki petty from Watanabe, mine is only 150mm (strike a balance between smaller and larger) and mirror polished. Some pics from when I got it (first is on its own and second is with some other Watanabe honyaki knives):
5290CA0B-CE26-4797-B135-CBB3C4511194_zpspvien3bp.jpg

E6A865F4-FB09-4A57-A6F1-EBB6026A1927_zpsgnuga35d.jpg

Mine is quite thin compared to the original Pro petty; about 2.9mm on the spine above the heel and that's with blue painters tape wrapped around the blade (I'm getting it rehandled and am polishing the choil)

Hahaha perfect! I actually asked the price for the mirror polished few hours ago, because I was very tempted to have it after seeing the gyuto from gator.
Still have a question though : how does the patina behave on a mirror polish blue 2 blade? Does it dull the mirror, or do you manage to get a blue/yellow/orange/whatever color but still mirror? That is obviously if you don't scratch the blade. Just talking about the patina.

Seems I'll, once again, go over budget :p

Many thanks for the pictures though, that will help my girlfriend to have an idea of what the blade will look like (she is in charge of the rehandled).

--
HaT

Still have a question though : how does the patina behave on a mirror polish blue 2 blade? Does it dull the mirror, or do you manage to get a blue/yellow/orange/whatever color but still mirror? That is obviously if you don't scratch the blade. Just talking about the patina.

The patina won't give you a coloured mirror, the patina will dull the shine.
The mirror finish will slow patination though and it's easy to remove patina or prevent it from forming.

Thanks for the information, I asked Shinichi to add the mirror finish, and I guess I'll see how it behave :)

--
HaT

Hahaha perfect! I actually asked the price for the mirror polished few hours ago, because I was very tempted to have it after seeing the gyuto from gator.

Seems I'll, once again, go over budget :p

Many thanks for the pictures though, that will help my girlfriend to have an idea of what the blade will look like (she is in charge of the rehandled).

--
HaT

Gator's reviews at zknives are what attracted me to the Watanabe honyaki in the first place; I also have a 240 Gyuto, 270 Sujihiki and 330 kensaki Yanagi (there was also a 270 kirtisuke gyuto in the picture I posted, but it was much bigger than I would have thought, so sold it and bought the 240 gyuto). All my Watanabe honyaki knives are on my work table as I took the handles off to get the specs for rehandles, so can't comment on how blue #2 develops a patina, but what MAS4T0 said sounds correct.

The patina won't give you a coloured mirror, the patina will dull the shine.
The mirror finish will slow patination though and it's easy to remove patina or prevent it from forming.

This has been my experience with mirror polished white #1 honyaki as well, I would think blue #2 would be a bit more resistant due to the additional metals, but just a theory. I found that the shininess will dull, and removing it with a polish like Flitz seems to help remove the patina, but the metal underneath still isn't as shiny (but still is somewhat reflective).

Back