Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Beginning of knifemaking journey

Beginning of knifemaking journey

Upon some sage advice, I started small with the knives I was planning on making, going with a parer as my first attempt. My first attempt, if you haven't seen my facebook, isn't bad, but could obviously use some work. My second attempt went much better, though I feel I'll only get better with time. Let me just start by saying that tapered octagons are a pain, and I have much more respect for those of you who make these on a regular basis. Here is my second attempt, and I'll even show a pic side by side with my first, though to see most of the differences, you would have to see them in person. The parer pictured is aeb-l hardened to 62 hrc, with brass ferule, and bocote handle. It measures 25/32" high at the heel, and 2 7/8" from heel to tip. In the morning, it's off to some local chefs to use and abuse. I'm hoping for some great feedback (as I'm obviously a little biased).

Thanks for taking the time to look!

the photos do not seem to work ...

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    the photos do not seem to work ...
    Not sure what's going on. I can see them when I open the page. Just turned google pics to share, so maybe that will make them visible. I'll also try something else here:

Attachment 30361Attachment 30360Attachment 30359Attachment 30362

Nice work. The progress from blade 1-2 is amazing. If you told me the latter was a hattori hd rehandled as a wa I would believe you. Keep up the good work. The edge is also an amazing brand name. Cant wait to see a nakiri or a gyuto and see how you shape the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    Nice work. The progress from blade 1-2 is amazing. If you told me the latter was a hattori hd rehandled as a wa I would believe you. Keep up the good work. The edge is also an amazing brand name. Cant wait to see a nakiri or a gyuto and see how you shape the blade.
    Thank you! After the first, I had to remind myself to go slow and focus on the details. It'll be a while before I get to either a chef or a nakiri, but they will be in the works eventually. There are so many little details I would have never thought about before I started making just one. I'm glad I listened to Hoss, and started out with something simple.

Impressive progress from blade one...looking good

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    OMG I just died hahahahaha