japanese knives vs crusty steak

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbusby1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had chipping problems with some of my higher HRC knives at work due to salt being on my board and I'm pretty sure I've chipped the edge slicing crusty steak. My station is now doing steak once again and I've just been using my kiwi to slice out of fear. The steaks I'm slicing generally have a thick crust that has morton kosher-size salt granules throughout it. I've seen lots of steak slicing with japanese knives on youtube but they are always pretty soft/crustless. Should I stick with the Kiwi or should I go ahead and use my e.g. Teruyasu Fujiwara to slice?

What kind of steak? How is it cooked? I simply would use a 240mm Gyuto at 5000 grit. Never had a problem.

When I bought my Teruyasu Fujiwara knives he included a precaution slip in the box that indicated that you should beware of cutting frozen foods, etc. I just looked but couldn't find the exact wording but RcH 65 is pretty hard steel and I have been using caution.

do you have a very shallow edge bevel... this is probably doing it. if you find your knife is chipping try sharpening in a more obtuse edge or throw a microbevel on there and see if it helps.

I get what you're saying about salt- it doesn't sound great but if it's taking chips out of your knife I'm thinking it's probably not the hrc or the steel... more likely the edge you put on or perhaps your technique.

Back