New Dutchy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jovidah

I'll make you a sponsor offer you can't refuse...
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just thought I'd pop the obligatory introduction post. I've been lurking for quite a while here now and finally decided to create an account. I suppose this means I'm not escaping this rabbit hole after all...

In a nutshell; still at the end of my studies and I guess I'm best described as a passionate home cook who still believes in quality produce and creating / cooking / cutting everything yourself from scratch using fresh ingredients instead of all the pre-cut crap in the supermarkets most people use these days. As my cooking evolved a few years ago I finally decided to put some study into knives and cutting technique. I guess my interest for knives really took off when I first cut a carrot that didn't take 10 kilograms of force...
Although I've gathered my bit of knives, sharpening gear and experience over the years (mostly cheapo VG-10s, Victorinox and some other lesser crap) I've only been getting more serious on the whole affair recently as I was getting at the limits of my cheapo knives and crappy stones. I guess once you start getting used to performance, it only creates hunger for more. So now I guess I'm trying to see if I can step a little further into that rabbit hole without falling all the way to the bottom... :)

And finally, I must say that I am grateful for the wealth of knowledge this forum (and others like it) provide; it offers insights that I would otherwise never be able to learn as a simple home user. Even while just lurking and reading it has been extremely valuable to me, and my only regret is that I did not discover it sooner; I would have made quite a few different purchases and certainly less mistakes.

Thanks for the welcomes. Admittedly, most of my mistakes were the cheap kind that wouldn't exactly fare well on the B/S/T forum... ;) But in a way I guess they were lessons and experience that just came with a bit of a price tag. Like finding out clunky German style 'quality' bolsters are just incredibly annoying while cutting and sharpening (but at least I have a beater knife now! :biggrin:). Trying out several paring knives in the 15-20 euro ranges before finding out a 10 euro Herder or Opinel outcut all the more expensive ones.
Admittedly some lessons you just have to experience for yourself. It was only after I started using a santoku that I experienced they aren't my cup of tea, but this is very much a personal preference kind of thing... but at least I've learned to build the collection slowly and get some insight and experience first before just buying everything.

Back