Temptation :)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shownomarci

Reaction score
No this topic is not about the song. :)
This is about when you're scrolling through the B/S/T part of the forum or clicking on makers / vendors sites. :)
How can you resist?
Obviously there is thickness of the wallet what limits the possibilities but apart from that what can make you to not to buy it.
As a part of the catering business (cook) i can justify some kitchen knives, but can not afford too many nor too expensive ($300+).
On the other hand there are some many to try out just out of curiosity.
Hard to fight against the knifenut spirit. :)

I'm a lefty so I don't buy any right hand biased knives, this cuts down possibilities significantly.

I have a list of knives that I'm looking for and it's quite rare that I'm tempted by anything which isn't on the list.

Definitely, I'd recommend converting to lefty-ism if possible. You could try to injure yourself and re-train for another career. If you can't resist, you could try stuff and trade/sell it on. I try to do this as much as possible, so not to spend much more money and sort of to share and learn from others. You'll lose money off new purchase prices and through shipping and paypal if you're buying selling, but you can get most of it back and try new stuff if you select well and exchange with other members. Better too if you live by other people and don't have to ship far/internationally, and can even get together for a big veg chopping party.

No this topic is not about the song. :)
This is about when you're scrolling through the B/S/T part of the forum or clicking on makers / vendors sites. :)
How can you resist?

It's easy, my wife has hard bony little fists.

I'm a lefty so I don't buy any right hand biased knives, this cuts down possibilities significantly.

I have a list of knives that I'm looking for and it's quite rare that I'm tempted by anything which isn't on the list.

+1

One of the few perks of being a lefty

-signed-

Another Lefty

I usually just give into temptation with the justification that you only live once.

OK, its a new year, I'm going save my money, invest my savings, move into a nicer place. I'm not going to buy a new knife for half a year.

Hmmm I kinda want a wa Sujihiki for work. Ohhh suisin inox honyaki is on sale.
30 mins later. "Hey man, you want to buy my brand new Shigefusa 270 Sujihiki?"

Well there goes my new year resolution.

Let's be serious for a change. Knives are crucial. To live we need to work, to work we need to eat, to eat we need to cut things, to cut things ... well, we need the best. Time is short, we must act.

Because I have pending projects and a few too many knives already, I can't summon much excitement at the moment.

It works even better if you don't start collecting shigs for display! :lol2:
I actually sold every all three of my "display shigs", and got another Kitaeji gyuto (the 210 from JNS) due to arrive tomorrow. With the remainder I bought the awesomest petty ever. Stay tuned to the newest knife buy…

I usually just give into temptation with the justification that you only live once.

OK, its a new year, I'm going save my money, invest my savings, move into a nicer place. I'm not going to buy a new knife for half a year.

Hmmm I kinda want a wa Sujihiki for work. Ohhh suisin inox honyaki is on sale.
30 mins later. "Hey man, you want to buy my brand new Shigefusa 270 Sujihiki?"

Well there goes my new year resolution.
I knew you'd still want it lol. I had a similar resolution and the only reason I justified buying these is because I sold some; knife in, knife out.

I actually sold every all three of my "display shigs", and got another Kitaeji gyuto (the 210 from JNS) due to arrive tomorrow. With the remainder I bought the awesomest petty ever. Stay tuned to the newest knife buy…

In that case I'm sorry, I didn't know.
Will the gyuto be a user?

I am curious about this petty; although I might have something up my sleeve (not literally) which I think would be a worthy competitor.

In that case I'm sorry, I didn't know.
Will the gyuto be a user?

I am curious about this petty; although I might have something up my sleeve (not literally) which I think would be a worthy competitor.

No need to apologize, the new gyuto will be going back on the display rack, so I guess I'm still a shig collector lol.

I suspect we may be thinking of the same petty, I'll be posting it on either Monday or Tuesday once I have the shig during a grand unveiling.

No need to apologize, the new gyuto will be going back on the display rack, so I guess I'm still a shig collector lol.

I suspect we may be thinking of the same petty, I'll be posting it on either Monday or Tuesday once I have the shig during a grand unveiling.

I didn't know Cutco made petties :rofl2:

To answer the original question... Money. As I'm only a home cook I don't need/can't justify heaps of knives so i decided to limit myself to what i find as more "special" knives. So this carries a higher price tag so with the wife controlling purse strings it is easy to "control" the temptation and only window shop and dream

Back