Most Unique Handle Material You've Seen

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the most unique/neatest/weirdest handle material you've seen. I work with carbon fiber some at work and thought it would make a decent kitchen knife handle on the right piece. The various things suspended in acrylic are different, but overall, handles seem to be relatively similar. Anyone have or know of any really unique handles?

I love the look of this stuff but it's not something I'm going to try out anytime soon. Acrylics are a pain in the ass, I've learned that lesson the hard way. :bashhead:

I have one from Mike Henry with camel bone as a bolster with a big oak handle. Captures the utilitarian look I was looking for.

Have seen one here from a penis bone but don't recall who's dick it was.:scratchhead:

Walrus, mastodon ivory,mastadon teeth etc and Ive seen a lot of really cool homemade "micarta's"..I like irish bog oak too.

Someone once claimed to have made a handle from Coprolite, but they may have been full of s**t.

Well, if they did, we know the handle was. I know a maker who was asked to use it as spacer material lol. The project ended in the toilet though.

narwhal tusks.jpg

Narwhal tusk.
https://www.furcanada.com/web/furcanada-skulls-&-arctic-ivory-52-narwhal-tusks,-skulls-and-skeletons-(monodon-monoceros).html

Yow! In the U.S. that would be "Go to jail, Go directly to jail, Do not pass go and Do not collect $200" Narwhales are covered under CITES. Not sure if there is a pre-ban exemption like on elephant ivory but Narwhale ivory is a no-no here. I think last year they threw some U.S. guy and a couple of Canadians in jail for trafficking in Narwhale tusks. Not worth the risk....besides the ethical considerations. Safer to stick to ancient ivories like walrus, mastodon and such.

My 240mm Martell wa gyuto has an interesting handle from Stefan Kellar. It is made from a combination of water buffalo horn, antique bakelite, African blackwood and mammoth molar. Very nice. Pics do not do this knife justice.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

God damn those pesky Canadians!
Not really, the Canadian government only allows the Innuit to harvest them and from what I understand they pretty much eat every scrap (unlike elephants). I think the ban is primarily to keep profiteers from causing the total collapse in the population.

Agree on the not using Narwhal tusk, but just putting it out there as a unique handle material that has been used for knives in the past. I hope I am not inspiring anyone to decimate Narwhal populations with black market profiteering.

Back