Stone flattening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TamanegiKin

Reaction score
I currently use a peacock stone rated at 120 to re-surface my stones.
I purchased it with my first stone awhile back. My stone collection is growing now and I'm wondering if I should get the DMT 120 to replace the much less expensive peacock...is it kinder to the stones or does it just work better? Trying to gauge if the eighty bucks is worth it...otherwise I'm just gonna get another stone for now muahahah. :D

Thanks in advance

I've heard the Atoma sticks less than the DMT, though I don't have one. But I've heard enough good about them to believe the hype. But both are better than using a 120 grit peacock, they are faster.

Not that the results will be BETTER, though. If you don't value your time that highly, buy a new toy. :2cents:

I've heard the Atoma sticks less than the DMT, though I don't have one. But I've heard enough good about them to believe the hype. But both are better than using a 120 grit peacock, they are faster.

Not that the results will be BETTER, though. If you don't value your time that highly, buy a new toy. :2cents:

Ah hah I see...I've been lagging on getting a DMT or Atoma but also I need a true low grit stone.
At the moment my lowest is a king 800. Been looking at the gesshin 400 for a minute now. One way or another I'll be trimming some time off my sharpening with this next purchase.
Thanks for the advice. :beer:

I love my Atoma...and my Gesshin 400. The Beston is a good stone, too. That reminds me, I need to post something interesting about the G400.

I don't care for flattening stones much. They arrive dished and even after flattening them they won't stay flat for more than a few minutes so how can they flatten other stone's effectively?

I don't care for flattening stones much. They arrive dished and even after flattening them they won't stay flat for more than a few minutes so how can they flatten other stone's effectively?

You flatten with sand, or what?

I use diamond plates. I do use Norton flattening stones too (those huge ones) with silicon carbide powder just for hogging off of my coarser stone every now & then. I'll take say my giant King 800x or Bester or pink brick to this thing just to wear them down and then I switch over to the diamond plates to finish the job. This saves my diamond plates from wear plus it speeds up the job immensely.

This is all completely different to just using a flattening stone by itself though, all they do is make the stones dished to match them, completely useless if you ask me.

Oh I see. I misunderstood. I thought you were including the atomas and dmts. Makes sense. And I agree that using a stone is not a reliable source of dead-flat.

DMT xxc on It's way.
Glad to hear that there's a substantial difference in quality.
Bummed that I've been using an ineffective method for flattening.
Either way, problem solved.
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Back