knife school.....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgraypots

Reaction score
I spent the better part of the weekend at Montgomery Community College in Troy, NC, and came home with this utility knife. It started out as a bar of 2" ATS-34, and is 7 1/2" OAL. The handle is maple, and although it was not stabilized, after soaking in linseed oil and buffing with white rouge, I'm pleased with how it turned out. I hope to order some new tools, abrasives and other stuff this week and starting on #2, #3, etc............
8-28-11tomsutilituknifefinishe.jpg

Nice work Tom. Looks like a neck knife-parer hybrid. Great knuckle clearance for a small knife. Should be fun to use!

Big fun!

*as he looks down the slippery slope*

Well done! Looks like it might be a great skinner.

Cool!

Were you shocked at how much grinding the face of the blade sucked...I mean, was challenging?

can't put my finger on it, but there's something about that design I really like. Might be great for deboning game birds

Thanks guys! Yeah, I was amazed at how much grinding was required to get rid of everything that didn't look like the knife I envisioned. I didn't want to tackle too much steel my first attempt, so the blade on this is only 3 3/4. It's too wide to be considered a parer, but it's sharp, and has found a place in my kitchen, for now. The teacher was Travis Daniel, with Barry and Phillip Jones assisting. Eight students, three knowledgeable teachers, lots of individual focus. Advanced class next month, but as this is my busiest season, pottery-wise, I'm gonna have to pass. Travis, Phillip and Barry are coming over for brick oven pizza though. Jared, that's my hope :)

Back