Quantcast
Weekend in the workshop.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend in the workshop.

Weekend in the workshop.

T.B London came to visit me this weekend to collaborate on some Kitchen knives.
    Tom brought a great collection of knives for inspiration. This was great and gave me a chance to have a really close look at some other makers knives as well as some commercial ones.

On the first day Tom helped me cut and clean some steel for the Damascus,. Then spent some time sketcking ideas and profiles on the table, we settled on a big Suji and a 270 Guyto.

While I got a billet together in-between taking pics and video Tom managed to get a wee sai mai billet together for a Paring knife.
    I managed to get the knives forged up, ready for the next day.

In the morning after a bit of a grind then thinning and tapering in the hammer, we got them HT’d and I started a rather long grinding session.
    Tom got the handle assemblies sorted ready for glue and shaping. We realized at this point we were going to run out of time but I got the Gyuto fully ground, I’ll have to come back to my Suji another time.
    Tom fell in love with the Gyuto and took it home with him to get it polished , etched and handled. I’m looking forward to trying to use the Suji without putting holes in the kitchen wall.
    Here are the few pics I took, i'm rubbish at remembering to take pics in the workshop, but Tom took hundreds, and video too So there will be some sort of slideshow when their sorted.
    Thanks for the company Tom I had a great time and i've a feeling we both learned a fair bit.

weekend in the workshop

Suji 310mm, Gyto 270mm and a 200mm Santoku for scale

Profile comparison shot

Gyuto with my Bano Bocho

Suji with my 150mm petty

Handle blocks

Some of Toms knives

Tom arrived on the train with this whole bag, full of knives

Evidence of late night honing

Sneaky pattern peak, 300 layers 15n20 and en42J, not as contrasty as other steels I have put with 15n20 it seems, but should be good after hand rubbing etc.
    300 layer forge fullered for ladder type effect

The sexy Burls are from Mark, looking forward to seeing them shaped up.

Looks like you had a very productive weekend, the profile of the gyuto looks pretty good for a kitchen newbee. I can't wait to see the finished product with that beautuful piece of maple attached.

Great stuff, It looks like you all had fun! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Cheers Man, Tom sketched the profiles and was invaluable when it came to grinding as I would hand him the blade so he could see how the profile would hit the board cutting in different places, little bit off here, etc. I have finished up the grind on the Suji today, with a slight convex from the middle, (blended thinning from the centre) I've hand rubbed it down to 180 gt, rounded the spine and the choil. I'm going to put an edge on it in a bit, and do some more poiishing tomorrow and an etch.
    The Suji spine dimensions are now 3mm at the back, tapering to 2mm before the tip. The edge thick/thinness is 0.2mm at the back tapering pretty evenly to just over 0.1mm. I'll aim for a 7/8 degree bevel on that with a microbevel.
    I'll pop some pics up in a bit, just doing the utube jobby.

Thanks Randy, always good to have some company in the workshop.
    Here is a compilation of Tom photos of the making, sorry about the slightly odd soundtrack, maybe square-pusher wasn't the best choice

Suji Progress

Cool stuff. That press looks awesome. Also what type of hammer is that, Stiker, Anyang, something else...

Cheers Man, its an Anyang, I bought the first one that John at Massey imported about 8 years ago. It doesn't miss a beat

Thats a cool video. You guys did good! Man thats some great equipment you have there..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

+ Reply to Thread