Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shun Kramer

Shun Kramer

Hi

What is the general opinion of this knife

I understand its not made by Bob himself but how close would it be ?

It looks beautiful but is the steel any good for the asking price or is it more of a cosmetic knife ?

Alan
    Last edited by Dave Martell; 08-29-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Live auctions link removed

I think the Henckels Kramer edition is more highly touted around these parts. Its carbon vs. the shuns stainless damascus look. Although the profile of the shun is similar to a Kramer, I think the steel is pure shun.... good looker, though.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

The Shun Kramer is a big knife, but is surprisingly nimble. Fit and finish are excellent. Cladding on the Shun classics are easily scuffed. I don't know if that applies to their higher end lines. Cutting performance was average.

The Kramer Zwilling is closer to an original Kramer. The steel is the same, the profile, grind, handle are close. Cutting Performance was very good. It's a very easy knife to sharpen.

If you are looking for a Damascus knife, then you should visit Devin Thomas's website. He is one of the top producers of damascus steel and an excellent knife maker.

Jay

I have a Shun Kramer and a Zwilling Kramer and have held (briefly, haha) a real damascus Kramer.

The Shun Kramer is SG2 stainless, with damascus cladding. The steel is very chippy. The profile is similar to an original Kramer, the geometry is no where close.

The Zwilling Kramer is 52100 solid carbon steel. It takes a great edge and holds it reasonably well. It will rust and discolor if it is not cared for properly. The profile is identical to an original Kramer, and the geometry is very very close as well. A much, much, much better knife than the Shun.

If you want a stainless knife with a similar look to the Shun Kramer, I would recommend the Miyabi Birchwood. Same SG2 steel, but it is much better than Shun's version. Plus you can try this knife out in person before you buy it if you have a Sur La Table near you (and also return it if you don't like it, unlike ebay).
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

it both looks good and a good steel. Shun will be coming out with a new line with same materials and different profiles soon, and I can't remember the name. I guess their Kramer version was a big hit so they wanted to carry it into a new version without paying BK. I believe the Miyabi line from Henkels makes better performers then Shun. Same steels, but I guess they use state of the art HT's on their steels that better resists chipping and provides longer edge retention.

The Miyabi microcarbide knives (MC), use zdp-189, which is a steel at the price.

The steel in the Shun Kramer is identical to the Shun Kaji line{(William Sonoma)(SG2 powdered)}. It's a mirrored and layered damascus clad, that is beautiful to look at, but not even close to Kramer damascus. Its basically a Shun Kaji with a Kramer-esque handle and profile.....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    The Miyabi microcarbide knives (MC), use zdp-189, which is a steel at the price.
    Morimoto's Miyabi series is SG2 and some other newer Miyabis too.

SG2 can be a great steel! I think Shun messes something up when tempering them down. The chippiness issue seems to be almost "Shun-specific".
    When I think about it, Shun VG10 seems to be chippier than other VG10 I've used, as well. Tojiro and Kagayaki VG10 seemed to be much nicer to me. Hmmm.
    To be honest, if you're looking at Damascus, and want a truly good knife, you should take a real look at the Kagayaki AS that is for sale in the B/S/T forum right now.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

my teacher from back in high school got one of the Shun Kramers as soon as they came out. he loves it, but ive used it a couple times and hate it. its really high off the board, has too much rock, and just feels flat out awkward. its not even that sharp. i can get my Shun Classic Utility just as sharp on a ceramic steel. i cant speak for chippiness, but it just doesnt feel right. if your looking for a high end knife, id say get a Misono. i have a couple UX10's, and they're OUTSTANDING. the steel takes an almost identical edge to most carbon knives, but it's rust PROOF, not just resistant.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubsy View Post
    it's rust PROOF, not just resistant.
    There is no such thing as rust-proof steel, just varying degrees of rust resistance.

But I do agree, Misonos are great fun.