Quantcast
Mirror Polish on Ginsanko
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mirror Polish on Ginsanko

Mirror Polish on Ginsanko

I was wondering if there was a reason - quality of the steel? - that would preclude bringing Suisin Ginsanko to a mirror polish. These knives are usually finished to a finish that shows the abrasive lines.
    Thanks,
    Seth

I don't think there are any issues that would prohibit ginsanko from being mirror polished. The reason why ginsanko is not mirror polised I recon is because the ginsanko being a stainless-ish steel primarily is made for the professional kitchen and line work in rather harsh environments. For professional use a mirror polish will make the knife perform worse than one with the grind marks, as food sticks a lot easier to a mirror polished surface than a rough one. So I can think of no reason to mirror polish a ginsanko knife except for the looks. Mirror polishing a carbon blade, however, will make the blade more stain resistant, but still you will have the issue with food sticking to the mirror surface.

DArkHoeK

D.,
    Thanks for your thoughtful answer; it makes a lot of sense. Maybe I will leave this for another time and just appreciate the mirror knives that I already own.
    Thanks,
    Seth

+ Reply to Thread